Scion xB front stage

bushroot

Use a gain knob on the output side of the mini DSP. BTW you'll love that unit. I have one and it really brought out the clarity and mid bass from my nendos. They aren't good sq speakers

What I bought is the PPI DEQ-8. It was built by the folks at MiniDSP for a car environment, but the support from the OEM (PPI) is lacking. They dropped the ball and there's no provision for gain adjustment. The documentation stated that a remote gain knob was an available accessory, but it turns out not to be the case. I'm trying to get the folks that built it (MiniDSP) to write ADC master gain into the firmware for me and give me a pinout for the RJ45 connector on the unit so I can build my own. This unit would be fine for someone using a head unit, but I need coax digital in (which it does have). Like I said, I may end up selling it and building a ruggedized chassis for a conventional 2x8 MiniDSP.

As a side note. I don't know what happened over the last few years with Epsilon trying to bring back PPI and Soundstream. They did an amazing job bringing back the Soundstream Reference and the PPI Power Class, but then it's like they lost interest. I guess it saddens me because I see it as a missed opportunity to bring back two of the "heavy hitters" from car audio's heyday.

I received a reply from the product development team at MiniDSP. Apparently there were master gain controllers prototyped for the Epsilon branded DSPs. The guy said I could have one for $15+shipping. I'm pretty happy about that. I thought I was going to have to go this route: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PGA4311-8channel-single-end-4-channel-balance-remote-volume-control-board-/231153568511?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item35d1d38aff

No progress... I've been working 12's this week and I have a cold. I did order an alternator and two more amplifiers. I found out from Soundstream that the reference amplifiers were discontinued. I picked up two Reference 1000 and sold the Rubicon. Now everything matches and my OCD is happy.

• 2 weeks later...

It was finally warm enough over the weekend to leave my igloo and venture into the garage.

Here is the final test fit before fiberglass. I'll start building the passenger side now.

IMAG1160.jpg

IMAG1159.jpg

The approximate volume is just over .25 cu ft. I added 1/4lb of polyfill which should approximate 30% more volume. This brings me to approximately .325, which will allow extension into the high 40's with the Anarchy drivers. I'm only taking them down to 60 Hz or so.

I'm waiting for some fasteners to arrive. I had originally planned to use a mortising bit to counterbore t-nuts and then bondo over them. Then, I thought about hangar bolts and ordered some from boltdepot.com. Hangar bolts have a wood screw on one end and a machine screw on the other. You back two nuts on the machine screw side and drive them into the wood.

Also, I couldn't resist getting the toy out and wiping the dust off.

IMAG1158.jpg

I couldn't get the Reference 1000s like I wanted, so I ordered 500s. Then, by some stroke of luck, I came across two of them. One used, one new. See, all the Reference stuff is now discontinued. So, I have the 1000s coming and I have choice to make. Do I run the 2.640 on my doors. It does 190x2. Or do I just say fuck it and run one Reference 500 on each door? There's no listing for power output at 4 ohms, but it does 500 at 2 ohms, so it should do in the neighborhood of 2-250. I'm seriously considering it. I mean, I have them already, right?

IMAG1165.jpg

Nice amp collection there

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Archived