ChiefBaummer Posted January 21, 2014 Report Posted January 21, 2014 I am building a box for a SoundQubed HDC3 18. The dimensions are 38 inches long, 14 inches tall, and 34 inches wide. That is the maximum size I can fit in my impala. I was wondering what the port dimensions should be. I used the torres thing and it said 7 inches wide and 18 inches long. That is to be tuned to 35 hz which is what the company said to tune it to. But the RE AUDIO calculator says it needs to be like 9 inches wide and like 25 inches long. SoundQubed recommends an 18 inch long port for the HDC3 18. Oh and the box is 8.5 cubic feet without a port. I dont know what it would be with the port because I am not sure how to design it.
Cj Kumz Posted January 21, 2014 Report Posted January 21, 2014 Which side will your port be facing? I'm guessing the side with the 14 as the height.. If the port is on that side it means your port height will be 12.5 inches assuming you using 3/4" board. So the port area for the torres calculator will be 87sq inches and for the RE 112.5sq inches... And for an 8.5 cube box u need 102-136sq inches of port area. So the Re sounds better to avoid port noise. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Krakin Posted January 21, 2014 Report Posted January 21, 2014 And for an 8.5 cube box u need 102-136sq inches of port area. So the Re sounds better to avoid port noise. I thought we just covered in your thread that the generalized port area per cube rule was ineffective, and that you needed to know how the amount of port affected the outcome? Also to the OP, RE box calculator uses a flawed formula for its calculations, Torres is much more accurate tool to use in designing a box. And for knowing how much port to use you can use this calculator which can get you +10% of where you need it to be. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 These formulas will be a little more accurate as it doesn't generalize the cone area, but takes a lot more effort to use. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=21 http://www.diysubwoofers.org/misc/portcal.htm Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
ChiefBaummer Posted January 21, 2014 Author Report Posted January 21, 2014 The box will be an l shaped design. Sub is upward firing and the port is facing the trunk.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.