Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

Please help me!!!!!!!!! I was running 8 MTX 5504-10 10" in a common chamber slot ported all glass enclossure tuned to 42Hz. running off of an MTX 91002. Now I have a single Mojo 12" in an all glass enclosure running off a Memphis Bell (5 channel). I am a SQ guy, but with all the subs i used to have in there i had to play the SQL game lol. Anyhow I heard about these transmission lines and see a lot of you guys say they are very responsive and that they sound great, and HAVE GREAT OUT PUT. I have to have great Q, but i need more spl for just driving around on the street. The sealed enclosure the Mojo is in now just does not get loud enough for me, and when it gets close it starts to clip and bottom out. What do you guys think? T-line?... Please help. I read this whole post and the math on the first page, seems like there might be a little more to the math than whats there, so if I could get a little more clarification on it thats great. thanks also, how much power can you run to a t line box? and how far away should the driver be from the start of the port, the closed end? and is this internal volume, so i need to add for displasment of mdf and driver?

OiRYFHf.png

////Alpine, Eclipse, Load Boss, Pheonix Gold, MB Quart,Digital Desings, Memphis, Stinger, Periphial, MTX, Visualogic

• 2 weeks later...

So I am building a T-Line for one of my 12" subs and I figures about 10 inches for the cone area giving about 78 sq/in of port area.

Does this sound reasonable and my real question how close can the magnet of the sub be to the back wall? With how I have it right now the inside is 14" wide to fit the sub and 5.5" deep which leaves about a .5 inch gap between the back wall and the magnet. Is this ok to have it this close?

Any info would be great guys, thanks.

I'll probably just invert it then. That will work better with the sub I have anyway because it is supposed to be secured from the front.

Thanks man.

How does it sound?

Due to my small vehicle and the tuning it doesn't get as low as I would like but at the peak frequency of my BII my eyes are ever so close to moving a wee bit.

I tuned mine to 38hz, factor in builder error probably 40hz.

I added a boost at 30hz last night and there is a noticeable difference on lower songs.

Slightly louder down there now. (HAHA Down There.)

Due to my small vehicle and the tuning it doesn't get as low as I would like but at the peak frequency of my BII my eyes are ever so close to moving a wee bit.

I tuned mine to 38hz, factor in builder error probably 40hz.

I added a boost at 30hz last night and there is a noticeable difference on lower songs.

Slightly louder down there now. (HAHA Down There.)

So if my Fs is 29 what do you think I should tune too? I figured 29 but I'm no expert.

It depends where you like your music.

I would do it around 30-35hz no higher if you like low music.

T-Lines tend to work in octaves so at 30hz it will hit all the way up till 60.

And safely down to about 15hz but not loudly at 15hz.

Make sure you use a Subsonic filter. I didn't and I noticed the sub making funny noises at low frequency's.

Not bottoming out but funny ones.

It depends where you like your music.

I would do it around 30-35hz no higher if you like low music.

T-Lines tend to work in octaves so at 30hz it will hit all the way up till 60.

And safely down to about 15hz but not loudly at 15hz.

Make sure you use a Subsonic filter. I didn't and I noticed the sub making funny noises at low frequency's.

Not bottoming out but funny ones.

Yea, I want this to get really low. I have 4 12's and I want to build this box to see how it sounds, then maybe build 3 more.

Oh yea I'm actually not planning on putting this in a car.... More using it to get some low end with my big setup, I don't know how well it will work but I just want to try and get some experience. =P

Archived