Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

44 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

So in your situation, I think a good starting point would be a line with 45 sq in of area, about 93" long, which should tune it to about 34 hz.  

Here is an example of how that could be laid out:

HfAqx5G.png

h7d8FMA.png

All panels except the front and back are 8" wide. I forgot to label it on the pictures but the line is 5 5/8" wide (x 8" deep = 45 sq in).

I would strongly suggest mounting the subs inverted so their motors aren't obstructing the line.  Cone excursion goes up FAST below tuning, so a properly set subsonic filter will be required.  I would set it no lower than 30 hz.  

If you get too much output around tuning (peaky response) you can add some polyfil to the portion of the line before the subs. 

I haven't been this excited about a build since I did my 2 xfl15s.

9 hours ago, kmb504 said:

You are the man!!! Thank you. I'll let you know,when the box is done and tryvto upload a video.

You are welcome.  I'm excited to hear how the box works out for you. 

Just to re-emphasize, but SURE to set your subsonic filter to 30 Hz.  It will be very easy to damage your subs playing below tuning if you don't.   The method using a multimeter and tone generator works well for this.  I can tell you how to do it if you need. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

7 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

You are welcome.  I'm excited to hear how the box works out for you. 

Just to re-emphasize, but SURE to set your subsonic filter to 30 Hz.  It will be very easy to damage your subs playing below tuning if you don't.   The method using a multimeter and tone generator works well for this.  I can tell you how to do it if you need. 

Please do.   Should I double baffle the front?

3 hours ago, kmb504 said:

Please do.   Should I double baffle the front?

You could double the baffle on the front, if you have the space I would say to go ahead and do it, but I don't think its specifically necessary.  

To set your subsonic filter you need a multimeter and a tone generator.  I use an app for my phone, there are lots of free ones available, just need something to generate a sine wave tone at a specific frequency.  Here are the stops to set your filter.

1. Disconnect your subs from the amp, then turn your subsonic filter all the way down (off)

2. Play a sine wave tone at the frequency you want your filter set to (30 Hz, for example), you want to do this at 3/4 volume or so.  You should have set your gains properly before doing any of this.  You should hear nothing because your subs are disconnected!

3. Measure the AC voltage coming out of your amp with your multimeter, for example lets say you measured 30 volts.

4. Multiply the voltage times .707 (In our example 30 * .707 = 21.21), this is your target voltage.

5. Slowly turn up your subsonic filter while watching the voltage on your multimeter, the voltage should begin to drop.  Stop when you reach the target voltage you calculated.

6. Turn everything back off, hook your subs back up, you are done. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

1 hour ago, kmb504 said:

So I take the voltage that I get from my subsonic filter being turned off then multiply it by .707 and that is my target voltage correct?

That is correct.

Builds:

2 hours ago, kmb504 said:

Do you think using YouTube to get a 30hz some wave would be acceptable.

Ehhh, wouldn't be my first choice.  I'd try one of these websites first and see if either of them will work for you:

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Builds:

Archived