Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

Posted Image

box is for 2 12's cone area is about 169.8

port area is 14.125*12=169.5 sqin.

port length is about 11 ft. so tuning is around 25 hz which is the subs fs(hz)

Can anyone tell me if this box will work? If my math is right It should be a good box after reading the tutorial. The only thing I'm really wondering about is how the 2nd sub is so close to firing straight down the port it's hard to tell in the pic but its maybe 2 inches from the edge. Will this affect anything? Also I know I need to add 45's in the corners to keep the port consant. Any input/info will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Would it be possible to do a T-Line for an RD Alpha V. 2 15? My max dimensions are 35w x 20d x 16h. The Fs is 33.9 and the QTS is .47. I'm primarily confused at what frequency to built the T-line for... It'd be hard to do a tline tuned at the subs Fs but I could probably do something with a higher tuning. Also the area needed would be huge compared to some of these tlines I see being built. I don't have the sub on hand so I was going with a radius of 6.5 for SD...Came out to 132.

Any help is appreciated!

hey it's chop, if i have did the math half right, this design i was giving by op is wrong......the port area op gave is 15.5"W X 5"H, i am guessing that to be 77.5 sqaure inches, my subs cone area is 132.665 (that is 13" center line of surround to center line of surround, then the math of 6.5" X 6.5" X 3.14 = 132.665) , so nowhere close.... so i asked op what the sd was, it is not listed, and he responded 126.....wtf? now I got three very different numbers, is there something i am not factoring in? or is this design i currently have from op wrong?

when i do the math for port lenght and compare it to the design, it seems close.....my subs fs is 24hz. so like the 1/4 wave length should be 11'.77" , i do not have a single 45 in the design though....? should i attempt a redesign here? or am i overlooking some math?

thanks chop

iaklogo4-1.png

My daughter's (kimberly) hairtrick via the duckman

I would re-design it to a higher freq, like 30-33hz, the sub will still play very well below that point, if your really worried about the lows

go for a larger port area, and tuned higher, should be fine

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

right on, i was concerned about those who say there is a steep roll off below tunning. so i guess 30hz. will be fine, that will be like 9.5 feet of port length. and then......i guess i just need to know if i should be doing the port area the same as the cone area, if so , like 132.50 sqaure inches. ..... is this the direction i should be going in? thanks for the help.

chop

iaklogo4-1.png

My daughter's (kimberly) hairtrick via the duckman

If I built a Tline, could I use a DC LVL3? Or would I have to use the LVL4? The LVL 4 has the perfect Qts and Qms but the LVL3 has a Qts and Qms higher than what was recommending in the original post.

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/specs.html

Here's a link to the specs page in case you need it.

Also, my max dimensions are 13" wide x 15.5" high x 40" long. Is that enough space?

EDIT: BTW, I would be running 12"s either way.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

Archived