Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

1/8th waves are fun... I want to try wall lined 1" tuned to about 60hz

and monitor the output

I know it will work great depending on environment, small car/large car

I have a 38hz tline now in my truck, and its dominating the 20hz area, so if I calculated that as 1/8th wave, I would be close to 20hz I'am assuming

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

1/8 wave would be at 19 hz for the 38 hz 1/4 wave

i got a question. say i have this small sub. and it needs about 16-17 sq inches. but it is impossible to find a five inch pipe

besides building a box from mdf what are my options? 4 inch pipe is too small and 6 inch is waay too big

i dont have time to build in college. let alone a place to do it. so i want a straight tube if i can.

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I learned with small drivers first, 4" then 5.25, then 6", and I learned the ABSOLUTELY easiest way possible

sit in a car, and just face the woofer cone in to a pvc pipe, use an adapter to fit different sizes

I had a 4", and 6" PVC pipe

I started off with somewhat long lengths, and actually holding the speaker and pvc in hand, and doing sweeps, and tones to find out what that speaker would peak at, at what frequency, and then I would measure the PVC pipe, cut, or add length to it to fine tune it

ALL of this was documented on grid paper, and did little graphs

Since I had like 60 Vifa mids and highs from my old employer selling them to me for dirt cheap, it was a easy way to do testing to find out what works, and what doesn't

I eventually moved up to Sonotube, then finally started cutting wood

So, IH8, you are on the right track to start off small.

just buy some pvc, and some adapters to make it longer, or shorter, and document what you find

a 4" mid bass firing in to a 4" pipe, and then cut to length gets pretty impressive, not loud, but low and clean. You don't get loud until you start messing with the 6" and larger stuff

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

i got a 5 inch sub. so would it be better to go with the 4 inch pipe or inch pipe? 4 inch is closer to required sq inches but less. 6 inch is much bigger

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

i got a 5 inch sub. so would it be better to go with the 4 inch pipe or inch pipe? 4 inch is closer to required sq inches but less. 6 inch is much bigger

if you have a jasper jig, and router, cut an adapter that will connect the 5" to the 4"

should work fine

that 5" only has a sd of about a 4" pipe

sundown.jpg

thanks man

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

does my subs high Qts suggest that the 1/4 wave tline enclosure is not the best for it......how does it effect this overall? it has been sugested perhaps this spec is not truly accurate....on my particular sub, how could i find it on my own? you had said a low Qts, 30 and below would be great..........what is to be expected from 46?

thanks chop

iaklogo4-1.png

My daughter's (kimberly) hairtrick via the duckman

• 2 weeks later...

awsome Rawlins

The most impressive designs are with smaller subs, because they really can get so damn low, and a pretty loud audible level

sundown.jpg

Archived