Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

ForEverBumpin

So im helping a buddy with a tline build for a JL12w7. He saw mine that I have for my Alpine Type R 15"s and fell in love. Can you please help me, I have gotten confused all over again.

Here's some info you might need:

Free Air Resonance (Fs): 27.2 Hz

Electrical “Q” (Qes): 0.514

Mechanical “Q” (Qms): 7.807

Total Speaker “Q” (Qts): 0.482

Equivalent Compliance (Vas): 2.33 cu. ft. / 66.0 liters

One-Way, Linear Excursion (Xmax)*: 1.15 in. / 29 mm

Reference Efficiency (no): 0.249%

Efficiency (1W/1m)**: 86.2 dB SPL

Effective Piston Area (Sd): 84 sq. in. / 0.0542 sq. m.

DC Resistance (Re): 2.47 ohm

Nominal Impedance (Znom): 3 ohm

Thermal Power Handling (Pt): 1000W

Driver Displacement: 0.14 cu. ft. / 4.0 liters

Net Weight: 45 lbs. / 20.4 kg

Only problems with a Qts that high, you will have to get the 1/4 wave close to the Fs as possible.

Or you can try a folded horn, or a bandpass tline

So, with that being said, if you decide to build a tline for that 12" it would be best to keep it at 27hz

And SD is said right there, 84sq inches of piston area

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MR. Foreverbumpin, when will we get pictures back on the first page? I'm reading everything and have to imagine what you are building. I NEED pictures... plz...

Sorry the beginning has been forgotten and neglected, Iam trying to fix that

I have a pair of 12s I plan on doing a build for, but funds have been tight. I should get back on the ball on builds this summer, the dual 12" tline is my priority for the thread, and for having some damn tunes in my truck. Iam tired of rolling around with test boxes lol

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

CZ, sorry I only read this last page, must have skipped you

To be honest, when building a tline, they ARE forgiving if you dont do the length of the 1/4 wave right. I mean, if your sub has a Fs of 25hz, and you do a 30hz 1/4 wave, its okay. Put it this way, if that did happen that way, well, really how much recording is below 30hz? not alot unless you drive around listening to test tones, or chopped and screwed music all day

Now if you want the math, I dont know what sub your working with, post it, and I will help you right now

sundown.jpg

CZ, sorry I only read this last page, must have skipped you

To be honest, when building a tline, they ARE forgiving if you dont do the length of the 1/4 wave right. I mean, if your sub has a Fs of 25hz, and you do a 30hz 1/4 wave, its okay. Put it this way, if that did happen that way, well, really how much recording is below 30hz? not alot unless you drive around listening to test tones, or chopped and screwed music all day

Now if you want the math, I dont know what sub your working with, post it, and I will help you right now

its a dc lvl 4 12 or a dc lvl 3 12 but im gonna be buying 2 of them but at first i was looking at 1 15 dc lvl 4 and the port lenght would have to be freakin 11ft almost... i think

Introduce a no fat chicks in the whip rule.

Im gonna have tech force make up a sign that says that and put it on my car lol

Iam sure you will be able to get away with a 30hz tline, or even higher

sundown.jpg

Iam sure you will be able to get away with a 30hz tline, or even higher

whats the range that it could hit if i tuned it to 30 to 35 hz around that area

now im looking at 2 dc audio lvl 4 15's in 2 t line boxes faceing each other and i hope they would be ok tuneing to 35hz

Whats the range?

would need a RTA mic system to find a "range"

sundown.jpg

Okay guys, sorry for it being so long to update the begining of the thread, but its looking like I will have something started/done by the weekend

I cant build boxes here at home really any more, because I got rid of alot of my power tools for speaker parts, and space for speaker parts. My garage, literally 15ft x 20ft is completely filled up with cones, frames, coils, spiders, and just boxes of crap,so I have enlisted a good friend of mine to make the thread tline example for the dual 12" box originally posted

Pat from Idyllic Designs

He does top notch work, as you will see

I personally, besides having no space to cut wood/build a box, I also have asthma, and have had a lot of breathing problems to where, well, sometimes I'am actually scared to cut wood, or resin/glass anything

resin fumes go right through masks, and gets me all tweeky now days because of my breathing issues

So....

Pat will do this box for me right now, and I will take full build log pics of it while we go through with the build

If anyone in the 916/530 area need great boxes built for a good price, , you might want to hit up Pat

sundown.jpg

Whats the range?

would need a RTA mic system to find a "range"

like is it able to hit high bass notes and low bass notes and every thing in between and what do u mean sq inches of port ? i dont get it

Archived