Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

BTW, the 4-12"s did not compare to the 2-12"s in the tline.

The amps :

125w on the tline

500rms  on the 4- 12"s sealed (tried ported first, but box was to small to sound good)

Box's

41hz Quarter wave T-line

4cf sealed  4-12"s

Cars

41hz Tline, SUV  Knocked awesomely a audibly close to a 140db

4- 12"  02' Buick Park Av Trunk car, with arm rest open, and closed, about 8db less audibly than the Tline

Yeah, obviously the box is a lil to small in the Buick park Ave, and the Buick is a trunk car, so the Buick I would give about a 3db handicap over the SUV, and even a 3db handicap for it being sealed, but 1000watts over the 250 watts (max powers) and double in cone area, I thought they should be a little closer in loudness.. Actually audibly, sounded the same, minus the SPL output, freq peaks sounded about the same....

I will try that 4-12" Isobaric bandpass which will have a lot lower Freq/higher output than the 4-12s sealed, so that is the next box to put up against the 2-12"s Tline

:shiftyph34r:

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, Iam working on a new box. 1- Maybe 2 15"s in a tline ::cough band::: cough::: pass cough:::.... with this design with smaller speakers, like 1-10", has performed as well as the 2-12"s pictured in this forum. So from 1-10" pounding about 140db with 250 watts, on to 2-15" in a bandpass/Tline... How will this fawker sound? will soon see.... Iam hopeing for Autorama-DBDrag, but would only compete in the bass race, or other than burping contests....  Iam already working on the box, but cam dont want to turn on, so maybe only a final pic will work this time.

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are great subs for tlines.

Iam almost done with my comp box for Autorama. Iam painting it right now! 35deg weather, my heat gun hates me, keeping the Rhino liner cans, paint/clear cans soaked it hot water, that trick works pretty good

Heating the paint up with gun, and light after coats, man I wish my digi cam worked. It is a secret project    :matrix: :ninja:

Hint is, 2- 15s, very wild design box. I tested it already, Sounded INSANE for the test amp I HAD, but after a few burps, and some music,blew a FET in my test amp, soo now I gotta wire at a higher ohm load  for the new amp Iam getting. Iam hopeing I can afford some 3/4" Plexi maybe 1" to mount the woofer on. Terminals are 3/8" brass bolts, interior, and some exterior painted with rhino linning, then pewter color paint, then clear- lookin good so far. Iam sure I will only have final pics   :ranting2:

sundown.jpg

Tell me more about your PVC experiments...i was thinking of doing this for home...Can you do it with just regular full range speakers without muddiness? Would PVC, 90 degree bends and U bends work ok? This is really interesting lol...thanks!

*One more thing, can the rear of the speaker face directly into the port, or does it have to be like your pic, with the sub mounted perpendicular to the port end? Hope that makes sense....ill try to draw a picture..

Posted Image

useing pvc pipes is a pretty good way to learn how 1/4 wave works. Just use low q mids. Vifa work awesome in PVC. Try useing some 5.25" mids, and 4" pvc, just use mdf as a adapter. You will be amazed at the low end reproduction a full range mid can make in some pipes.

Just practice with some straight pvc, no bends, learn the proper lengths, and formulas.

think maybe I want to start a new thread with pictures, and designs, from me and other members.

sundown.jpg

I was actually thinking of making a dedicated sub now since I dont really have a decent amp to power a fullrange...I was looking at these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=295-480 Just running one with a plate amp I have now...Using your formula I got 10 ft with an FS of 27, which I can live with. Just wondering if im a little to optimistic since its my first try :D it would incorporate one u bend and two 90 degree bends I remember seeing 7 inch ABS at home depot so I would use that...thoughts?

if you wanted to stay in that price range, do the MCM high xmax 8 they have over there, that seems like a bad ass woofer for the price. QMS is high, but shouldnt be a problem since the Qts is so damn low.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalo...%5Fid=55%2D2421

sundown.jpg

give me a camera, I will give you a video... lol

I cant afford a video cam, I barely have left over money after bills, and build costs. And 250 watts to 2- 12"s unless you wanted to see side mirrors, and rear view mirriors vibrate, and side panels flex, cuz the woofers barely move at all.

And yeah, the tline was tuned to 40-41hz in this build, the Fs was 30hz, but I used a bass boost instead of Fs, which works almost as good.

I have another thread up on a tline with 2-15s in it. This one is based on Fs of 34hz, but its in a compact size as of a single 15" tline. But watch out for final pics on that build, it will come out sweet, definitly loud, and low

sundown.jpg

Archived