Eric Cisneros Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 Hello, new user here. I was cleaning out the garage this weekend and found a bunch of unused car audio equipment. I decided to put it to good use and set it up in my garage, as a fun little project. Here is a picture of the deck installed under some shelves. The deck is powering two alpine 6x9 speakers up in the rafters and a separate amp is powering a sub which I placed in the corner. It turned out decent, except for the sub. So I threw away the old sub and picked up a Polk DXi104 SVC for $40 shipped. Now when Im building shit in the garage, I have something to listen to. Here is the spec sheet on the sub http://www.polkaudio.com/products/dxi104 I'd like to build a good enclosure for my single sub. I'd like it loud with lots of boom, but I also listen to rock sometimes so Id be nice if I could also keep the bass tight. Since this is in my garage, space really isn't an issue. I am kinda interested in a 4th order enclosure. Anyways if anyone could help me out with an enclosure build, I would be grateful. I know I could have just bought a hi-fi stereo, but where is the fun in that. Thanks for the read.
Triticum Agricolam Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 The driver you got should work well enough in a 4th order, or a sealed box. Due to its high QTS a ported box isn't going to work well though. If you want to build a 4th order, here is how I would design it. Sealed size 3 cubes net, ported size 1 cube net tuned to 45 hz. Use a 6" round port or slot port of equivalent area. I know that your typical car audio 4th order is high aspect ratio with the ported side several times the volume than the sealed side, which is the opposite of what I'm suggesting here. Since this is going in your garage and not your car you want low aspect ratio or you will end of with a one-note wonder. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Eric Cisneros Posted February 19, 2014 Author Report Posted February 19, 2014 Thank you for your input. I have never done this before. So Im going to hit the enclosure calculators and try to figure this thing out. I'll post my initial dimensions here, for critique once I've figured something out. I'd like to do this right the first time. Thanks again.
Eric Cisneros Posted February 19, 2014 Author Report Posted February 19, 2014 Here we go. I used the calculator at http://dbdynamixaudio.com/4th-order-bandpass-enclosure-calculator/ Let me know if this works, thanks.
Triticum Agricolam Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 My bad, for my earlier suggestion I was looking at the info for the DVC version, not the SVC, which has significantly different specs. I used the same online calculator and plugged in the same specs you did and I got very different results. I looked at the box specs the online box calculator you used and to me it looks like it will give you a hump around 40 Hz, which you may not want. Personally I would not trust that online calculator at all. I suggest you download WinISD and play around with it and see what you can come up with. Using the SVC driver specs I came up with 1.6 cubes sealed side, .65 ported side tuned to 45 Hz. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Eric Cisneros Posted February 19, 2014 Author Report Posted February 19, 2014 I'll have to pick this up tomorrow. Thank you for your help, as I have no idea what I am doing. I'm reading up as much as I can but its a lot to digest.
Eric Cisneros Posted February 24, 2014 Author Report Posted February 24, 2014 Ok, Im back. I've been using WinISD beta and here is what I've gotten so far. www.dropbox.com/s/e2kumzxyv22c4a9/DXi104.WID Sealed Net Volume: 0.587ft³ Ported Net Volume: 1.442ft³ Tuning Frequency: 45.45 External dimensions: W 16.90 H 26.14 D 10.74 Per WinISD the frequency response curve is pretty flat. Although I am still working on the Vent tab, trying to figure out how to get a slot with 3 shared walls instead of a port. As usual, any help in fine tuning this would be greatly appreciated.
Triticum Agricolam Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 Can you show us a screenshot of your frequency response? I'd be curious to see what ya got. Also I don't know if you are using the pro verison of WinISD or not, but it has a lot more features and is free as well. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Dude2800 Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 Also I don't know if you are using the pro verison of WinISD or not, but it has a lot more features and is free as well. I did not know this.
Eric Cisneros Posted February 24, 2014 Author Report Posted February 24, 2014 I have a meeting here in a few minutes. I'll post it as soon as I get back.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.