9bullets Posted February 23, 2014 Report Posted February 23, 2014 this is a very random question but I bought a used car and I noticed the rear door speakers were super super quiet. I was planning to replace them anyway but when I pulled them out I noticed they were Polk DB651 coaxials. As I am trying to figure out why they are so quiet, I tested them with DMM and something isnt adding up. I noticed that the capacitor or inductor has been removed from the speaker. Why would you do this to speakers, and is that affecting the volume of the speaker?
audiofanaticz Posted February 23, 2014 Report Posted February 23, 2014 The capacitor acts as a passive crossover to prevent frequencies that are out of the speakers specifications from being played preventing the speakers being blown, or blown less easily. So I would no remove them unless you had some other sort of passive or active crossover going to the speakers.
audiofanaticz Posted February 23, 2014 Report Posted February 23, 2014 Kind of hard to tell, but with the one capacitor being removed, it looks like the mid part of the speaker is not getting any power and only the tweeter is working. The connection would need to be reestablished with a piece of wire.
9bullets Posted February 23, 2014 Author Report Posted February 23, 2014 They have already been removed. The previous owner installed them as shown in the picture. You can see the difference in the pics, I believe the capacitor has been removed. As I mentioned they are playing at extremely low volume but dont seem to be blown. Is there anyway I could use these or am I better off just buying new?
Jessica Posted February 23, 2014 Report Posted February 23, 2014 jumper a wire in pace of where the cap was before and see if it works better. Like Audio said, mid probably isnt hooked up. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Jessica Posted February 23, 2014 Report Posted February 23, 2014 im guessing the mid range on the speaker is blown and that is why it is unhooked. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.