Sonic Electronix

well i got a new sub a rockford p3 ( i posted in the sub section check it out)

i turned the bass boost to -12(all the way down) on the amp but left the gain at 3/4

should that be ok

though how should i set my eq frequency and the L-Pass crossover

btw if your wondering why i didnt get another type r with my warranty its because best buy didnt have any and in fact they only had one p3 so i got lucky to just get a sub

Edited by .Supra.

excuse me if i'm wrong here(i probably am), but wouldnt clipping cause thermal damage i.e. VC related. that just seems like the sub was pushed past its mechanical limits and ripped the cone.

There are many ways a sub can be damaged from clipping. ripped spiders, broken tinsels, fried coils.

I doubt the sub was pushed passed its mechanical limits, I know someone pushing 4 type r 10s with around 4-5 thousand rms, and they are taking it. Only problem they had so far is that the glue let loose on the surround where it was adhered to the basket.

Bass boost all the way down, and 3/4 gain is still most likely clipping the amp, and the low bass boost should not be compensaited that much with the gain.