Second Skin Audio

Box design

hi guys,

i was hoping someone could help me out with a box design. this will be my first non-prefab box and it will be for 2 kicker comp subs. i was hoping to get a nice low tune and make them really shake things up. I've got 14 and 1/2 of room for height 24 inches for depth and 41 inches of width to work with. it will be going into the trunk of a 06 corolla.

the dimensions i see on the subs are:

Size (IN.,CM) 12, 30.0 Impedance (OHMS) 4 Max Rec Amplifier Power (WATTS PEAK/RMS)* 300/150 Sensitivity (dB 1w/1m) 88.3 Frequency Response (Hz) 27-500 Mounting Depth (IN.,CM) 5-7/8, 14.8 Mounting Cutout (IN.,CM) 11, 27.9 Min Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) 1.25, 35.4 Max Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) 3.5, 99.1 Min Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** 1.75, 49.6 Max Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** 2.25, 63.7

so if anyone could help me design a ported box to make these subs add a little rumble to my audio life it would be very much appreciated.

these subs will be going on a low power no name brand amp. its rated at 150 watts RMS per channel so maybe making 50.

First think i would do if i was you to make sure every thing will fit through the trunk opening is build a carboard box with your max dimentions and MAKE SURE it will fit in the car properly. Last thing you want to do is build a box and cant use it because of a miss mesurment.. almost happened to me im just glad i found mine in time.

Edit: also what amp you going to power those with so the designers can take power in to the design (not that it should matter much with those subs but still)

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Yeah, Those subs are pretty cheap but in a good built box they can pound. I'm kinda surprised that Joe X hasn't posted yet...

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

Yeah, Those subs are pretty cheap but in a good built box they can pound. I'm kinda surprised that Joe X hasn't posted yet...

its only been like 20min it takes more time then that to design a box. People have lifes and cant always be on this forum. I have seen it take a week for some one to design one. I would but i dont want to be responsable if i mess the design up and your subs blow lol.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Here's a box but you should maybe look into more powerful subs, it's a big box, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, make sure it fits in it's way in before building:

2x_comp_12.jpg

TSFPFSBNT_zps1eb6d69e.jpg

thanks so much,

it looks like you put two pieces for bracing on the inside corners. but i don't see any sizes on those pieces, are they vital to the tuning? if so could you be so kind as to let me know what sizes they should be.

once again thank you. this looks perfect. i made a rough model from cardboard and i don't see any fitment issues or issues getting it in.

Archived