buying a sub based on rms.....

Ok so i just picked up a hifonics Zeus 1800. they state it does 1800 at 1 omh. how true is that. i not sure. so i was going to get the re sx18 which is rated at 1k but from what ive read it can handle up to 2500. my plan was to feed it with the gains down until its ready. Others have mentioned that there are other 18 inch subs that hit harder for the same price. But these subs are rated higher. Am i wrong for thinking that a sub rated lower will hit harder than a sub that is rated higher with the same power supply. Higher rated subs are harder to power and require more to get moving. i believe for my needs an Sx18 would be perfect. please pitch in any ideas if im wrong or a sub that would hit hard with the given power...............oh and will the zeus clip on me i heard the are ok amps

Looking to buy hdc3 and sq2200 bundle. let me know

1. You have to realize that all amplifiers have the potential to clip which is why setting gains is important.

2. There are a lot of factors that go into one subwoofer being louder than the other. Of this the power handling does not mean it will be louder on the same power, box, car, etc.

3. I would go with another brand of sub because that is a little high priced for what it is and there is better for the price.

4. From looking at the price of the amp I would say it does not do the 2400, but that it will do closer to 1600-1800. I can't give much more than that educated guess as I have no experience with Hifonics equipment.

5. Here is a company that has a very big performance/price ratio. http://www.soundqubed.com/HDC418-D1-A-_p_137.html

team%20xplicit%20smd_zpswfo6ysdv.jpg

Your logic is incorrect.

The t/s parameters and the box you build will determine how efficient it is. If the higher RMS sub is more efficient, it will be louder even with the lower power.

My IB in my home theater uses a lot of cone area so that I don't have to drive the subs very hard. Less distortion and less stress on the drivers.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

thanks for the replies. so with that said there are so many subs i hvae learned about. now im stuck. The re sx18 are really out there but then every is saying make sure its the old style. from what i hear they are the ones that can get really loud but dont sound that great. i know they can take 2k with no problem. Then i see subs like the dc lvl 3 18. which i hear are great but im not sure how much they can take. i am really liking the price of the obsidend 18 but its only rated for 600 rms and truthfully i want to feed it the 1800 from the amp i have. so now im faced with a list of subs and dont know whichone to get. the list so far

dc lvl. 3

re sx

obsidend(dont know how to spell it)

hcd3

fi bl or blt not sure on the prices yet

wait matt. your in san leandro. hella sick. im in san leandro right now at walmart on lywelln. Anyways i already got my 2 amp and o guage wires plus the big 3 which i just found out i may not be able to install because of the type of al i have. but to keep it real i really didnt wantto spend over 300 for the sub i know the hcd3 is 300 and i found the re sx on amazon for 270 new. and the amp is rated for 1800 rms at 1 . i think i cant really go higher then 300 for now becuase i still have to work on my eletrical. i need a new alt for mines only puts out 80 amp and that was 23 years ago may 60 now. have to add a battery which isnt so bad a then i have to work on the noise my bronco makes..........hey when i get set up we have to see what it do

oh plus i plan on putting alot of time in my box build. what is that box at the top called i dont see it anymore the trap or death trap. something like that. i want to check it out

Is this for home or car??

You posted in the home section, but sounds like a car setup

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Your logic is incorrect.

The t/s parameters and the box you build will determine how efficient it is. If the higher RMS sub is more efficient, it will be louder even with the lower power.

My IB in my home theater uses a lot of cone area so that I don't have to drive the subs very hard. Less distortion and less stress on the drivers.

Sorry for the confusion, but what I meant was when it is 2 different subs sharing the same box, power, and everything else the rms of the sub does not make it louder. Out of the list of subs, I would choose the hcd3

team%20xplicit%20smd_zpswfo6ysdv.jpg

Archived