Second Skin Audio

L7 12" underseat Silverado

nate3531

Ok here is the deal, I have an old Kicker Solobaric 12" L7 in a slot ported box. 4.7^ tuned to 36htz. I have a Kicker zx600.1 running (I think that is the correct model number). I had all this in a 97 2d Tahoe. It really hammered. Sounded great to me. Problem is my son talked me into selling this s10 and giving him my Tahoe. I let him keep the sub for a while but decided I wanted it back. I now have a 2000 Silverado ECSB.

Now for the time being I pulled the back seat out and just dropped the same box in my truck, but it looks ghetto has hell. I have been trying to design a box that will let me run this sub. I know I can't stay ported and that concerns me. I love the sound of old school JL subs sealed but I have never heard an L7 sealed. With 2" of seat lift I 'think' I can get 2.1^ which -sub displacement should net the recommended sealed box size.

So, what are your thoughts? Will this sub sound good sealed, or should I try to sell it and buy a couple Sundown 8's that I can run ported under the rear seat.

No great offence to you, but in most cases oldschool<newschool

IMO, get a pair or DD m3 8's and use a 4" areo port if you can fit it.

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

No great offence to you, but in most cases oldschool<newschool

IMO, get a pair or DD m3 8's and use a 4" areo port if you can fit it.

No offence taken, I came here for opinions from people that are in the scene now, if I wanted old farts opinions I would have just not posted and believed whatever I wanted :)

l7's do not do well in sealed boxes. they prefer large ported.

It really does sound good now and I can't see it sounding good sealed in a box half the size. I think I am going to start shopping for 2 - 8s.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, seat lift built. I followed Bodied B2600zx's thread @ http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181397-99-silverado-dual-sa8-v2-under-seat-enclosure/ and loved his idea of using 2"x4" rectangle tubing, cut in half for the lift.(giving props where they are due)

I got a piece from the local steel yard for $8.xx. It was 1/8" wall (.120) but I wasn't comfortable with the strength so I cut some 1x2 retangle tubing and welded a brace in the middle. Got them all drilled, painted and installed. Seat reinstalled with 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I now have to figure out how to extend the backseat catch pins so they will catch the mounts on the back wall and the seat will stay up.

Now the real decision. I have 99% decided to take the suggestions above and run 2 8's or 2 10's and use the L7 somewhere else. So until I pull the trigger I am kinda at a stopping point. Can't really build a box not knowing what speaker I will be getting. I would like to do something similar to Bodied's build where I could mount the amp on the tunnel so I could make adjustments but I don't want to copy his build 100% lol

Archived