Second Skin Audio

What kind of port to use?

I wanna build a box tuned at 32 for a sundown x12, but I'm not sure what type of port to use. There's people recommended aeroports, and some suggesting the rectangular port. I'm looking to get a lot of air moving and wanting to be able to hit deadly lows. Any suggestions??

Properly sized, either style of port is going to sound the same. Both styles have their pros and cons.

The advantage of aero ports is they take up less volume inside the box, they need less port area to be properly sized, and you can take em out and change the length to adjust your tuning.

The advantage of slot ports is you don't have to buy anything extra to build them, you can make them have any amount of port area you want, and its easier to make an "L" shaped slot port than try to put an elbow in an aero port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Properly sized, either style of port is going to sound the same. Both styles have their pros and cons.

The advantage of aero ports is they take up less volume inside the box, they need less port area to be properly sized, and you can take em out and change the length to adjust your tuning.

The advantage of slot ports is you don't have to buy anything extra to build them, you can make them have any amount of port area you want, and its easier to make an "L" shaped slot port than try to put an elbow in an aero port.

Wow, awesome.. I agree with everything you said except the last thought. Other than that, I couldn't have said it ANY better. Fucking awesome :)

Now, Im just gonna add this.. If you use an aero, flare both sides :good:

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Archived