Cj Kumz Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 Hey people, I'm just about to build my box for my sub. I have done all necessary dimensions and stuff. I am tuning to 35 hz and my 10 inch port requires a port length of about 20 inches. Issue is my boot from top to bottom is 34 inches and of-course inside the box I need 10 inches from the bottom of the box to the beginning of the port. And from the top of the port I need another 10. Meaning I need 40 inches from top to bottom. So question is where should I reduce the length inside or outside the box?? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Aj11 Posted March 16, 2014 Report Posted March 16, 2014 that was hard to read, but you Can have the port out of the box. or half&half just dont put the port in the corner of the box, the opening to close to a wall (at least 3inches) And be sure the sub isn't loading into the port. i Hope this helps jvc deck stinger 1800 front hc 2000 kinetic rear 2 runs of 1/0g big 3/4 ct 60.4 2 ct 1400.1 ct EXO 15 d1 lots of deadner type r comps front stage 6 kicker tweets rear stage lots of great stuff coming soon ho alt more bats ct comps for front stage more deadner sweet amp rack lots of L.E.D lights new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)
Cj Kumz Posted March 17, 2014 Author Report Posted March 17, 2014 Thanks a lot. The main issue is that the port has to be 20 inches long and I got 33 inches from the roof to the bottom. Don't I need an allowance from the roof?? And what distance? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
kicker8940 Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 How tall is your box? Your only option might be to try and figure out how to bend the port. If you have a little extra cut two short pieces and then cut 45's on each one and try and glue them back together and see how it holds. Or you could try and find a 90 degree elbow,but good luck on that the elbow will probably cost you more than what it costs to build the whole box.
alaskanzx5 Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 From my understanding the general rule of thumb here would be 10" of clearance on both ends of the box. However if it's flared and a few inches to close to something (2-3" roughly) it's shouldn't give issues with port noise. It could but I for one doubt it. I've heard that being to close can cause a lower tuning but as long as you have 7-10" if clearance I don't see there being an issue. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Cj Kumz Posted March 17, 2014 Author Report Posted March 17, 2014 How tall is your box? Your only option might be to try and figure out how to bend the port. If you have a little extra cut two short pieces and then cut 45's on each one and try and glue them back together and see how it holds. Or you could try and find a 90 degree elbow,but good luck on that the elbow will probably cost you more than what it costs to build the whole box. 21.5 inches tall. That's a great idea over cutting the pipe the gluing it back. Thanks a lot Any idea how I can flare the port lol its way too thick lol Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Cj Kumz Posted March 17, 2014 Author Report Posted March 17, 2014 From my understanding the general rule of thumb here would be 10" of clearance on both ends of the box. However if it's flared and a few inches to close to something (2-3" roughly) it's shouldn't give issues with port noise. It could but I for one doubt it. I've heard that being to close can cause a lower tuning but as long as you have 7-10" if clearance I don't see there being an issue. Ok great info. So i will just have to bend it cause i only got 4 inches above the port. Thanks alot Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
alaskanzx5 Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 If the port is 20" long the box is 21.5 and the total height you can have is 34" then subtract 20 from 34, gives you 14" (i'm assuming it is port up). Now you didn't say but i'm going to assume it's.sub up with a double baffle. The bottom/floor if the box being a single .75" thick piece of wood you subtract that from the 14" giving you 13.25" that you can divide between both side of the port. That's just over 6"of clearance per side. I would build it like that and see what happens. Worst case scenario you end up curing the port slightly shorter and tuning raises 1-3 freq while you find a way to make a bend so you can extend the port. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
kicker8940 Posted March 17, 2014 Report Posted March 17, 2014 How tall is your box? Your only option might be to try and figure out how to bend the port. If you have a little extra cut two short pieces and then cut 45's on each one and try and glue them back together and see how it holds. Or you could try and find a 90 degree elbow,but good luck on that the elbow will probably cost you more than what it costs to build the whole box. 21.5 inches tall. That's a great idea over cutting the pipe the gluing it back. Thanks a lot Any idea how I can flare the port lol its way too thick lol See if this video helps you out any. You may need a buddy to help you out.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.