DrunkenwhippeT Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 Hello everyone, I'm lookin for recommendations for 15" drivers. I've recently wasted my time and a few $ on 3x Planet Audio ACR154D subs. Supposedly rated at 1200 watts RMS, they lasted a few hours on 66.7 V RMS with the voice coils wired in series, for an 8 ohm nominal impedence. Enclosures are 2.28 ft^3 with 3" diameter by 12" long ports. Tuned to around 24 Hz, I was very happy with the sound while it lasted. One by one, the voice coils melted and the Suburban smelled like burnin enamel for a few days. These subs have 2" voice coils, which apparently couldn't dissipate that much power. Pretty sad, considering their 1200/2400 watt rating. These were supposed to be an upgrade from my 13 year old Rockford Fosgate RFP-2210s. The RFs are rated at 400 watts RMS / 800 peak, and have survived years of abuse with their 2.5 inch voice coils. Then again I'm trying to compare Rockford Fosgate to Planet Audio. So I'm hoping to find some recommendations for some 15" drivers with an Fs lower than 30 Hz, and a 3" or bigger voice coil. I'd like them to handle ~1100 watts RMS each. And by handle I mean for hours at a time, not just a few minutes. I'll likely be changing my amplifier configuration in the somewhat near future and go from 66.7V RMS and 8 ohms to 45V RMS and 2 ohms. So dual 4 ohm coils will be ideal. I know I won't be running these at full power all the time, but I want to be sure I'll be able to when I decide to. Like I said I was pretty happy with the 550 watts RMS each, but wouldn't mind some more headroom. I absolutely loved the f3 around 18 Hz. I've looked into the Rockford Fosgate T2D215 and some DC audio offerings, but they don't seem to tune low very easily. I'm also open to going to a couple 18s as well. I'd like to avoid excessive equalization to keep a flat-ish frequency response. Like everyone, I'd love to keep the budget as low as possible, but then again I don't want to waste more time and money just smoking over-rated voice coils. I don't think I should have to say it, but I do want any suggestions to have thiele-small parameters available from the manufacturer. I look forward to any suggestions you guys have, and thanks for reading! -Jim
WillPwn4Food Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 Sundown X. Low end beast. Fi Q's are always nice. Wall build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174827-walled-taurus-with-lambo-doors/#entry2571893 real men dont use fuses Neither do moronsSays the guy with lambo doors on his Ford Taurus.
Problematic Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 Diamond audio hex pro 15. Crazy expensive but awesome sq sub that gets loud. Got mine for 500. Dual 2 ohm Fs-22 hz 4" coil 1000w rms
hammiethebasshead Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 I second fi q's I absolutely love mine once you get a speaker moving so hard that its possible to make tinsels slap, you are already kissing "SQ" goodbye. Don't get me wrong, as I smoke Marlboro Reds, but if I saw one more kid with that smug-ass look (Look at me I'm smoking indoors) on their face, I was going to shove that thing so far up someone's ass that they'd look like a hillbilly trying to understand quantitative prediction theorem. You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.
CleanSierra Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 I have some nice old school Fosgates that I have for sale here. They are Fs of 20 Hz, 4" coils, well easily handle that power and power and are just straight beasts. I can give you a deal if you want them both for sure I'd also be happy to give you a free box design that would make these things shine in that Suburban http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183665-rockford-fosgate-power-15s/?p=2738914#entry2738914 Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.