Second Skin Audio

Pop Sound In A Fi Btl

CynicLos

aigh so, i have an 18 inch Fi BTL that i bought from Meade last year and saddly i only had it in my car for about a week or 2 tops. had to take it out because it was just too much power for the trunk of a lil car and it sucked cus it took me a long time and hard work to build a box for it inside the car :mad:

any who, today i wired it down (1 ohm) to a stable amp under that load. but every time the amp comes on, theres a "pop" sound coming off the dust cap. im thinking it might the coils charging up... i know this can be a problem due to bad ground/rca's, or too much Gain/Level but i do not get this "pop" sound with the subs i currently have in my vehichle.

my question is

is the popping sound a sign of my btl gone bad?

or is the btl a bit too sensitive that a soft-turn-on from the amp still gives it the pop?

or could i get the pop sound because i havent playd much music on it? (havent broken-in the sub?)

:unsure:

• '02 Jetta
  • (1) Fi Btl 18 Inch Sub
  • Big box FTW!
  • Installed the HU.. finally...
  • Look for a H.O. Alt
    yea... it bangs.. but still need some few things

0000002102154.gif

0001897780.gif

00000000004987.gif

I'm willing to bet it has to do with either the RCA's or the grounds

lol ok, let me rephrase it....

i connected the BTL in my car to to the speaker cables from the amp and every time i turn it on theres a pop.

now, disconnecting the speaker cables from the btl and into the subs that i have already installed in my car, there is no pop sound. (i have 2 12inch subs wired down to a 1 ohm load, same load as the btl)

none of the other subs give a poping sound, the btl is the only one. thats the reason as to why i do not believe there would be something wrong with the rca's and/or grounding. btw, the ground is directly off the battery and i guess ill have to change rca's as soon as i get a day off :(

any1 have any other ideas as to what might be the problem?

• '02 Jetta
  • (1) Fi Btl 18 Inch Sub
  • Big box FTW!
  • Installed the HU.. finally...
  • Look for a H.O. Alt
    yea... it bangs.. but still need some few things

0000002102154.gif

0001897780.gif

00000000004987.gif

Check the dust cap.

The dust caps on BOTH my RE MT and my RECONED MT to FI soft parts, the dust cap came loose, that will give you a popping sound. Do this, if you have the sub tap on the top of the sub with a pencil or something hard. If it sounds solid it is NOT the dust cap, if it is, look around the dust cap and check for seperation, look closely as it is hard to spot.

Official Scores at the Dash. and YES. My Bass Boxing is louder than Burp! - 155.5 DB Drag Burp- 155.6 - IASCA Bass Boxing on music (30 seconds straight) sealed up Builds 1. The Acura Integra build = http://www.stevemead...s/page__st__6802. BLK SIN Build = http://www.stevemead...w-pics-10-6-07/

Archived