HO Alternator rebuild kits

Besides Miguels...if $140 is all I would save, then it probably wouldn't even be a question if I'd buy a whole alternator. I'm thinking if a good kit can be had for a bit over 100 bucks. I see whole alternators that run like 400-500 all the time. I don't feel the urge to drop that on an alternator just yet when I have less in my amp alone, or less in my sub/enclosure alone.

im on your side here. even if it dont work its a learning experience.. everyone has to start somewhere. mike wasnt born a pro alternator builder and neither did mechman employees.. i sy if you have the time and money go for it

I'm working on it brother. If I decide a kit is my best route, I will be sure to do a log with pictures and step by step. It's the engineer in me that compels me to try anything once with my own hands. It's got me far in life thus far, so the alternator doesn't scare me, IF it turns out to be an intelligent endeavor on my behalf. If I decide it's not the smart thing to do, I won't skimp. I'll just muster my patience and my dough and shell out for the real deal. So I'm not ignoring any of you brother. Just being a wise man.

Someone locally once told me not to build my own engine, "just get a crate and drop it in". I heard them but I just couldn't heed that advice and ended up with a sexy, mean, long lasting engine that brought me pleasure for years to come. If I thought for a second it was a bad idea, I wouldn't have. Same thing here...if it's a bad idea, I'll just get an alternator if I need it.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

I did it with a Small Case CS-130 alt. And then a second one. Both are in the van and still going strong. My Personal experience:

The van isn't my daily driver, but it has seen plenty of use and abuse. I can tell you they were a vast improvement than the OEM alternator. Much better at holding voltage up and charging. That being said, I haven't had personal experience with a purpose built HO alternator from one of the bigger more reputable builders- so know that as you read.

Some things I learned from my rebuild kits:

1) Get overdrive pulleys. Low RPM output sucks. Laughable is a good word for it. You may even need to cheat and trick the alternator to put out more voltage to compensate when at idle and you have heat soak (use a diode on the sense wire, use an aftermarket voltage adjustment box). Can you get good output from them? Yes- but you need to know their weaknesses and see if that works for your application.

2) "Heat soak" is Real and a very real concern. My alts are easy to get to and get plenty of ventilation. They actually run cooler than the OEM did (maybe attribute that to having 2 instead of 1, but I am talking about when they warm up under "regular" running conditions- read: vehicle running, system off). BUT. The hotter they get, the poorer the work. That is like any alt, yes- but when you put 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bucket... they simply won't work as well as a more expensive purpose built alternator. The difference in output and long term reliability- you will have to decide.

3) Rebuild of mine was easy. EASY. Harder to install the alt than to rebuild it (as long as you have a few tools).

4)For me, it was worth it. Both rebuild kits were less than 3/4 the cost of 1 alt. I was VERY tempted to go with one of the name brand manufacturers, but my money didn't land right and I rebuilt my own. I didn't care that they were old OEM cases, that they weren't custom colors, or specially machined. It didn't matter to me. For some people it does. To each their own.

I can tell you this, had I not had the option to easily put multiple alts in my van- I probably wouldn't have done the rebuild kits. Had there only been room for one alt and that alt was a PAIN to get to.... yeah, I think I would have gone with one of the big HO Alt companies. No question.

Sorry to ramble on, I just wanted to throw my experience with my rebuild kits out there- for what that is worth.

Cheers! Whatever you decide.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Colin, thanks for the input. I appreciate the experience you shared a lot.

Don't get me wrong, the number of alternator rebuilds I've done, I can't even remember. The number of HO rebuilds under my belt...0 currently haha. I'm taking in what you have said and mulling it over with everyone elses opinions taken into account as well.

Good deal. Just thought my personal experience could help some. -not trying to sway you one way or the other.

If we all did the exact same things with our rides, this would be a boring hobby. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Yeah I was thinking mostly along the lines to doing it my way and putting more sense of pride into the work Colin. Just to be different and save money all in one fell swoop.

However, I just got a quote back from Singer. No rebuild kits are offered however he does sell a 170 amp, direct bolt on/plug in, with overdrive pulley and a hell of a warranty that for the price, the warranty makes worth it. I do believe I will be saving some dough this week and purchasing from Singer! WOOT!

Archived