HO Alternator rebuild kits

Okay so I decided to do my next install in the 03 Eclipse. A little searching shows the 03 Spyder GT to have a factory 85 amp alternator (yuck)

1. Do they sell a HO alternator rebuild kit for this car? I can do the rebuild myself and if I can avoid the all out expense of purchasing a different alternator I would be content with that.

2. If so, what company do I see about getting said kit from?

The known of this system is:

One orange basket Mojo 15 wired at 1 ohm, ported at 32hz

Soundstream Rubicon 2500 (probably overkill, but I intend to tune for 1700+/- rms and have headroom for upgrades maybe)

0 gauge big 3

0 gauge amp wires

Pioneer SuperTuner 3D (because I've had it for years and it's never let me down after having it in 8 different cars plus has lots of EQ adjustments)

The unknown:

3. What battery/batteries should I include? How many?

and most importantly...

4. Do I even NEED more from my alternator if I'm going for 1700 +/- rms? (my guess is yes)

I appreciate any input you guys want to, or can, give. Thanks.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

im sure they do if not there wouldnt be making HO.. i would stay away from the ebay kits they sell

have you contacted singer to see if he can rebuild/upgrade your unit?

^^ or Singer

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

1. If you need to ask what's in the kit vs. being able to part it together yourself, you don't know enough about alts to even attempt that. Not trying to step on your toes, just being honest

2. Trying to build a larger alt in your stock casing with stock cooling will result in massive heat soak issues

3. Should you find such a kit, it will likely not carry a warranty, and it will likely be.... well.... POS for lack of better terms. Good alt companies won't undersell themselves by providing parts

4. DC power, Mechman, Singer, Excessive amperage all make good alts. Give them a call or shoot them an email

Do you have a volt meter? Do you even know what your voltage drop looks like? Or are you shooting in the dark on this?

One more thing to add is that high output alternators have a tight tolerance in stock cases.. Like virgin ass hole tight. There are a LOT of parts (which Im sure you know).. and many of them are bigger for HO applications.

Thats just another concern for me...

LMFAO so true

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Miguels, I haven't contacted singer but I did send an email to mechman to inquire if they sell the kits. I will look into also contacting singer and getting a price.

Kranny, will do

Snowdrifter, 1. I never asked what's in the kit. I asked who sells them. I've done alternator rebuilds, I've just never inquired about a HO kit. Typical kits I'm able to acquire through a local parts house by order. I wouldn't ask for a kit if I couldn't handle it myself. I know my limits. I'm comfortable. I know where you're coming from, not a lot of people that inquire, are ready for such a tall order. 2. Being that I've not done an HO kit install before, I was unaware of heat issues in the stock housing. Thanks for that tidbit of info. I may reconsider. 3. I'm not looking for a company to completely under sell themselves. Was only trying to cut out the cost of purchasing an entire housing too. Might not be able to avoid that by what you're saying. 4. I don't doubt those companies making good products. Like I said, just trying to take some of the sting off those prices. 5. I don't have a dedicated voltage meter but the headunit I'm running does display voltage down to the tenth of a volt and is pretty comparable to my fluke meter and my power probe 3 that I have. They've all hit within a tenth of a volt between each other. However, I have not even hooked anything up in this car. It's an install that I have all the main gear for, just going to start putting it in this week. So, no idea what the voltage drop looks like yet. I would just rather be prepared and/or ahead of the curve in case I need it. I'd rather not get to a roadblock and then have to hunt down a company selling HO rebuild kits, later in the game.

Hdorre, I was unaware that the HO parts would be so much larger. I'm aware of the fitment and tolerances on stock alternators, just didn't know my case might be too small. Good to know.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Hdorre is am anal freak but back on topic.. Contact a HO company and see if they can get it for you, my personal alt is from singer.

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

Get your garbage EMF products of my amp bitch

Man....it makes a nice work bench ;)

Hey now, don't hate :P

LMFAO so true

Archived