Second Skin Audio

Got an old JL HO enclsoure, thinking of tossing a sub in it, but what.

Weigel21

Seems the the HDS312 I was initially thinking of getting is now on back order. Looks like I have to find something else... for now at least.

I think perhaps an Alpine Type-R could do well, I've been around plenty of the previous generations of Type-R and most sounded pretty decent. The Current Kappa could have been a decent option, I know my old Kappa Perfect 10.1 subs were pretty decent, thus why I was thinking maybe an old Kappa 12.1. Still, doesn't seem like there's much support for Harman Kardon in here. Really wasn't wanting to go with a mainstream sub this time around though, so I'm thinking I may just buy an Infinity Ref 1260 and run it until the HDS312 come back in stock. The Reference probably isn't going to be all that impressive, but it's cheap right now from Sonic electronix, I'm sure I could get it, toss it in the JL enclosure, play it for a month or two, then sell it for 3/4 what I'll be paying for it. Seriously, I don't see myself having much problem unloading it.

Still not too sure why the HDS has such a low VAS, most 12's have a VAS of at least twice that. then there's the questionable Xmax (peak to peak) rating. May contact Sound Qubed over these listed specs to confirm them, after all, I've got a while before I can buy one anyways.

I love infinity subs and their old mono amps. The reference/kappa series just lack durability because of the flaw in design attaching the surround to the cone. That's why most people will not recommend them they are designed to break but they are great cheap subs.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I had an old Reference 611a that I sold only recently (last year), it was a great amp while I used it. Also have a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 subs that worked out pretty well throughout their time of use (they were powered with the Ref 611a which was purchased at the same time).

I tend to change out equipment somewhat regularly, actually have (14) subs in my possession and now the new Ref. sub on it's way, so make that (15) subs. Got (16) amps, (6) HU's, and (11) sets of speakers, but only have three cars (lol).

I bought an Infinity Ref 1260W I thought I'd try out in it, but initially had my sights on the Sound Qubed HDS312, which is now on back order. I haven't an amp wired up or even an aftermarket stereo w/ sub controls in the car I was going to put it in, so until I get the car wired for an amp and one installed, the entire project is on the back burner. I'm planning to put it in a 99 Cavalier Rally Sport Coupe, which I bought a couple weeks ago. It's got an older Pioneer in it currently, a DEH-P4700MP, which hasn't sub controls, so I'll need to change that out as well.

Car was needing work when I bought it, kid said he had both driver side hubs changed out but it didn't fix the horrible grinding noise the car made when driving and so he suspected the tires may be at fault. Well, I found quite quickly that it was the front passenger side hub that was COMPLETELY shot. At 40MPH, I felt like my ears were going to start bleeding. I have replaced the front hub and now the car is drivable, but I can tell the rear passenger side hub isn't too far behind, it makes a slight rumble currently. I also need to replace the driver door latch mechanism, as the door doesn't shut tightly and at times, the latch will return the the closed position before attempting to close the door, so I have to pull the handle and push up on the latch. Just picked up a used latch yesterday, as it's a salvage only part now. This weekend I plan to install it and the new rear Hub and try wiring the car for an amp. Not sure what stereo I'll put in it yet (maybe the DEH-80PRS I have sitting in my closet), but I can use the current one temporarily, just won't have sub controls via the HU. By the time I get everything ready to install the sub/enclosure, the HDS312 may be back in stock, in which case, I MAY end up replacing the Infinity with the HDS312.

Amp I'll likely use is an old Memphis MCD-1000 I have, as it's small, and rated to do 300@4 ohms and 1100@1 ohm. Not so sure it will do rated power, but I can see it doing 300@4 ohm and a solid 900RMS, maybe 1000RMS@1 ohm. Only other amp I have that MAY power the HDS is a Boston GT-2200, which is supposed to be CEA compliant and is rated to do 900RMSx1@2 ohms. Problem is, I've heard many claims that it doesn't run at 2 ohm bridged very well, despite the manufacturer's claims. On top of this, it's a bit too much power for the Infinity, being 700@4 ohms bridged. I can limit the output to some extent via the gain, but I'm not so sure I can effectively limit it to a safe enough level. Well, I could just run it connected to one channel for 200RMS to the Infinity.

All my other mono amps are rated at 600RMS and under, though the lower powered mono amps I have (Rockford Punch 50.1 and Kenwood KAC-716) haven't a subsonic filter, which is going to be a must.

So yeah, that's where I'm sitting.

Archived