Second Skin Audio

Sealed box to small

Rck'nRF

you don't have to break in subs, every sub I've ever owned out of the box i usually put max rated power to it and let it bang! I've never once "broke" in a sub. my type rs included! I've never blown or damaged a sub doing that. my type rs have seen over rated for the last 7 mounths and rated before that. they still sound and act like the day i got them!

i have a boy who has a r 15 in a big 4cubic ft box and he had the same crunch noise. he was clipping and boosting the crap out of it! "but it's only a "600w" amp yeaaaaaa and? his gain... you guessed it all the way up his boost?... correct again maxed out. the sub was being extended pass it's limits every time it moved. which wasnt much. set your gains right and see what happens

Excellent point, gains and bass boost are important and can affect a lot. I built a box for two type r 15s and had a similar crunch sound we ended up fixing some stuff with the wiring and power/ground too the amp and it went away but no guarantees that's what fixed it. I personally always break in subs, I just think its too risky to run a lot of power right out of the box but its kind of a personal prefence

Gotta loosen up those soft parts :)

well when i get my ct exo 15 that's rated at 3000w rms I'll be putting a lil over 4000w daily to it and I'm gonna slam it the second i get it. that will be my break in period

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

well when i get my ct exo 15 that's rated at 3000w rms I'll be putting a lil over 4000w daily to it and I'm gonna slam it the second i get it. that will be my break in period

Like I said personal preference. If your comfortable doing that knock yourself out, it sure makes the first run a whole lot more exciting.

since I've joined idk about a year ago there has been dozens of "do subs need to break in" threads and the answerer is always no! there are a select few subs that do. but none us mortals need to worry about. these subs have such a stuff suspension they barely move. you can't move them.by hand. but normal Subs do loosen up over time. but if your breaking in your sub, taking it easy on it.at first your just taking longer for it to sound better. subs are meant to move period. if your giving them good clean unboosted power there's no reason to waste time breaking it in.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

1. That box is too small for a 15"

2. Subs don't need to be "broken in". They naturally break in with time and will play lower/louder as time progresses. If a company says they need to break it in, they are just covering their ass if you blow it because they can ask "How long did you break it in for?" "Oh, you only broke it in for 2 months?" "We require 3 months, no warranty for you."

Does it still play right now? If it does or isn't as loud it could be blown.

As others have state, pull the sub and press down evenly on the cone. If you hear any scathing, you either blew the coil and it's somehow still playing or it's close to being blown.

What is it? A Dual 4 ohm or 2ohm? or is it a single voice coil? Either way grab a DMM and check to see if the coils read close to what they are supposed to. If it reads 0 or some strange ass number not close to what it is supposed to be, it is blown.

edit: what amp are you using and how did you tune it?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

x2 how did you set your gain?

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

When in doubt, take a video of it to see what you're talking about.

Alpine subs, the older type R's are known to come apart. Not sure if they

fixed the problem. Take the sub about again and see if the spider is coming

loose form the voice coil former. I recently witnessed it for myself, it does happen with the Alpines.

If it comes loose, it can misalign the former causing a rub.

What amp are you using for the infamous 150W?

Not to sound like a smuck, but why would you buy a huge sub, and a use a little amp?

It's like buying a performance car, but reach for 87 at the gas station? I don't get it? lol.

-Frank

You guys really came through for me in this thread i see!! THX &

sorry for having left such a gap of responding!

I am using a Rockford Punch 200 amp for this 15" Alpine,

the gain is at about 75% turned up & i am on Low pass on cross over,

like i said this sub sounds REAL nice low an deep,just when i want a touch more bass.

When i turn my bass up to the '0' setting from -1 ( stereo consol) it starts crunching/scratching &

i immediatly back it off, the sub is not blown in the slightest(yes,removed& push tested).

For the ones who asked "Why stupid pissy little amp to push this 15"? Purely because i flatly

refuse to use my 1000bd in these cuurent temps/cold for working such precious gold electronics..

i still think the box is to small is why it scratches because the air has no place to go when

compressed during a trance bass note.

Nother question, when i do finally get around to my perectly designed & better box, i want to put my

other 15" Alpine to use in the truck

BUT,

the one i am using now is a DVC at 4ohm,the other, a DVC at 2ohm..

what will the final load be? 3ohms??

Archived