I just completed a tune up on a '03 Ranger with a 3.0L V6. Replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, air filter and an oil change and it ran rougher than before. Checked all the plugs and wires to make sure it was all right and it was. Took it up to autozone and had them run a diagnostic on one of those readers and found out the cam sensor was bad, so I replaced it. It ran rough at first still, but it did seem to smooth out a little. The idle did still seem to be rough, but was idling at around 900 rpm. Was at 1100 at first. I think it may work self out, but really don't know. If anyone has any idea of what it could be, please let me know.

I also have a 3.0. If you use anything other than autolite/motorcraft double platinum spark plugs, you are going to have issues. For some reason these motors only like those 2 brands( both made by same mfg)

The idle is probably your IAC, as mine has acted up before. Thats simple to replace, two bolts a plug and a gasket on/near the throttle body

Did you replace just the cam sensor, or the entire assembly?

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

These motors always are a little rough at idle, but it wouldn't hurt to spray out the IAC motor with some IAC cleaner spray.

If you had replaced the whole assembly, there is the possibility of installing the lower portion a tooth off on the cam.

Brandon

System:

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

I was told that if I had the sensor out of place that it wouldn't run right or not at all. I think they was talkin bout the shaft part of the sensor. The cap part fell right into place, I did mark it just to make sure.

Yea, if that sensor was out of whack the truck would be downright pissed, damn near undrivable.

How many miles on the truck? Usually the cam sync needs to be replaced around 100k miles, when they are getting ready to die they start to squeak/chirp.

Brandon

System:

USalts 390amp Hairpin

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

well i know they are diff vehicles but ive delt with this problem a few times before. but most of them were when the engine was cold. As an example. Cars run an open loop cycle when they are warming up, they dont use the O2 sensor until the engine is warmed up. The TPS sensor doesnt notice a leaky gasket or anything... if this is the case you can use a solution and put it on certain areas and see if you have air leaking anywhere that would effect the amount of air getting through your engine. idk, its just a thought. could be way off. just dont go spending lots of money without a few tests to see how easy the fix is.

Archived