Impedance and passive crossovers.

TRON

If you have two 8 ohm speakers (tweet and woofer) on a passive crossover, the amp will see 4 ohms, yes?

I was reading about passive crossovers and it was saying all sorts of shit like "the impedance will changed according to the filters" and blah blah blah things that that didn't help me.

I've never used a passive crossover before, so I have no idea if there's some wired genie shit to deal with.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Simply put ... No matter what the impedence is on independant drivers in the set, the passive crossover automatically makes correction so the the amplifier will see the correct ohm loads from the component set ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

So, the crossover will always be 4 ohm (or whatever is specified) to the amplifier?

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

If that's what the design calls for.

I think you can get 4 ohm and 2 ohm component sets. Everything I've ever owned is 4 ohms.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

While a 4Ω tweet and a 4Ω mid-woofer are connected in parallel they are a combined 4Ω load due to the X-over. Let's say the X-over freq. is 3kHz. At 3k and above the tweet presents a 4Ω load. At frequencies below 3kHz the impedance is much higher due to the high-pass portion of the X-over. At 3kHz and below the mid-woofer presents a 4Ω load and a higher impedance at frequencies above 3kHz. When the two are combined they present an overall 4Ω load to the amplifier.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

Archived