Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Best Trunk Box for 2 12s?


Recommended Posts

Posted

This whole "best type of this or that" stuff is an impossible question to answer. It's very subjective and there are too many answers. I'd say list a budget, get a box design from someone who's built for the vehicle you have(if you have a vehicle). If your build is done properly and your budget is high enough to reach to desired goal, you're in luck. There is no magic formula, other than power and cone area. Building in the specific vehicle and knowing what will work for THAT vehicle is the best tool.

The better question that you should have asked instead of "best enclosure", would have been what is a reasonable goal with X amount of money in Y vehicle.

Okay, I apologize. I drive a 2001 Toyota Camry. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money but will spend what it takes. I know some people do 4th and 6th order boxes so I was just curious as to what other people have built and their opinions.
Posted

Most people have best results with subs and port forward into the cab sealed from trunk

I agree with this, and I'll bet loud guys would agree. The box as far back into the trunk, with a completely sealed off into the cabin enclosure. Port(s) and sub(s) firing forward.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

This whole "best type of this or that" stuff is an impossible question to answer. It's very subjective and there are too many answers. I'd say list a budget, get a box design from someone who's built for the vehicle you have(if you have a vehicle). If your build is done properly and your budget is high enough to reach to desired goal, you're in luck. There is no magic formula, other than power and cone area. Building in the specific vehicle and knowing what will work for THAT vehicle is the best tool.

The better question that you should have asked instead of "best enclosure", would have been what is a reasonable goal with X amount of money in Y vehicle.

Okay, I apologize. I drive a 2001 Toyota Camry. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money but will spend what it takes. I know some people do 4th and 6th order boxes so I was just curious as to what other people have built and their opinions.

Does that year have a folding rear seat? I know that the newer ones do not have a folding rear and are tricky to get loud.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

This whole "best type of this or that" stuff is an impossible question to answer. It's very subjective and there are too many answers. I'd say list a budget, get a box design from someone who's built for the vehicle you have(if you have a vehicle). If your build is done properly and your budget is high enough to reach to desired goal, you're in luck. There is no magic formula, other than power and cone area. Building in the specific vehicle and knowing what will work for THAT vehicle is the best tool.

The better question that you should have asked instead of "best enclosure", would have been what is a reasonable goal with X amount of money in Y vehicle.

Okay, I apologize. I drive a 2001 Toyota Camry. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money but will spend what it takes. I know some people do 4th and 6th order boxes so I was just curious as to what other people have built and their opinions.
Does that year have a folding rear seat? I know that the newer ones do not have a folding rear and are tricky to get loud.
Yes, the seat does fold down.
Posted

I believe he is also asking what type (as in sealed ported 4th or 6th) is best for his install. In a trunk build more likely than not a 4th or 6th order is going to be obscenely complex for what you are trying to accomplish and take up gargantuan amounts of space. A simple daily tuned ported box to around 34 hz would be sort of where you should look.

As far as box IMPLEMENTATION, there really are many different ways. Subs up port back, subs and port back, subs and port forward sealed off, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend and what works with your car. Some cars get best bass subs sealed off from the trunk pointing into the cabin while some sealing them up into the headliner works. Google what other people have done for your car and find what works well.

Something to think about is that if you seal off the box from the trunk it severely reduces vibrations and trunk rattle.

Posted

I believe he is also asking what type (as in sealed ported 4th or 6th) is best for his install. In a trunk build more likely than not a 4th or 6th order is going to be obscenely complex for what you are trying to accomplish and take up gargantuan amounts of space. A simple daily tuned ported box to around 34 hz would be sort of where you should look.

As far as box IMPLEMENTATION, there really are many different ways. Subs up port back, subs and port back, subs and port forward sealed off, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend and what works with your car. Some cars get best bass subs sealed off from the trunk pointing into the cabin while some sealing them up into the headliner works. Google what other people have done for your car and find what works well.

Something to think about is that if you seal off the box from the trunk it severely reduces vibrations and trunk rattle.

From what I've seen online is that sound doesn't bounce off the inside of the trunk very well which is why I was leaning towards sealing off the box from the trunk because facing subs and port forward has always sounded best. The problem is the opening between the trunk and where the back seat is is only 12" high and 29 inches wide.
Posted

I'm sealing a 15 in my trunk and the opening is only like 13 inches. The whole thing is going to be about 2-3 inches back from the "divider wall" thingy and I am going to create a big shaped baffle that bolts to the box and goes out and touches the top bottom and sides of the trunk. From there I'm sealing the edges and buying sound deadener to cover the holes in the headliner where the old 6x9s were.

Posted

I'm sealing a 15 in my trunk and the opening is only like 13 inches. The whole thing is going to be about 2-3 inches back from the "divider wall" thingy and I am going to create a big shaped baffle that bolts to the box and goes out and touches the top bottom and sides of the trunk. From there I'm sealing the edges and buying sound deadener to cover the holes in the headliner where the old 6x9s were.

so will your baffle be like slanted down to fit the divider wall opening?
Posted

quote name="BIGlep" post="2788635" timestamp="1399855177"]

I'm sealing a 15 in my trunk and the opening is only like 13 inches. The whole thing is going to be about 2-3 inches back from the "divider wall" thingy and I am going to create a big shaped baffle that bolts to the box and goes out and touches the top bottom and sides of the trunk. From there I'm sealing the edges and buying sound deadener to cover the holes in the headliner where the old 6x9s were. or will the baffLe just go up to the divider and be bigger than the divider whole?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3076 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...