Sonic Electronix

Opinions or reviews on polk db1222

Like I thought I talking about at first. derp on me The Polks are good entry level subs. And are a match for what you want to do. The amp can be ran at one ohm and make more

power, but will have a easier life at 2ohms. Just remember with 2 dual 2ohm voice coils they can only wire 8ohm 2ohm load or.5ohm. Don't wire your amp at .5 it will fry. So if later you want to run your amp at 1ohm your going to need dif subs. If you can make a box that's a whole new ballgame, Rockford punch 2or 3s or Alpine Rs in a proper enclosure would out preform the Polks.

Alright cool, thanks for the info, I'll take another look into the alpines, also the polks are meant to be internally wired to 2 ohms so my amp would run them just fine, I'll have to see what kinda deals I might find on the alpine and rockfords

Just get the Polks you know that's what your getting, right ha ha. For a new basshead they will be fine. Set your gains correctly DD1 or Oscope... so you don't run your amp into clipping and them Polks will last. Clipping is one of the main causes of sub failure and another is user error. The other reason are way behind those two.

factory boxes and all prefabs are garbage. only useful as firewood.

if you want better sound, build your own box.

So true, but if one has no skills and is a rookie with one ported box and a sealed box. A box set made by Polk is a giant leap in the right direction

Three cheers for the rookie without tools to build a box and isn't willing to spend hundreds on a custom box.

Why do you say manufacturer boxes are garbage though? Do you guys use software like winisd to decide on box designs or go by manufacturer spec?

If money wasn't an issue I'd probably aim for something nicer and a design from pwk designs

After a quick look it seems that p2's or p3's would cost me $300 for the 2's before a box is in the equation, or the p3's would be $50 more than the polks before a box, unfortunately on this website the alpine type r's cost more than the rockfords as well. If only I lived in America where all this stuff is considerably cheaper.

Ergh, I think I might stick to the polks, they're the most cost effective option, shouldn't sound too boomy or muddy (hopefully) as it seems that any good or decent brand or woofer here is going to cost far too much, just one sundown woofer would cost as much as both polks in their box after the excessive shipping cost

wait up new discovery

would i be better off spending an extra $70 getting 2 rockford p2 subs over the polks?

just stumbled across the p2-2X12 dual 12" enclosure sold by rockford for $70 more

so all in all what i think i'm looking at is 2 manufacturer supplied dual sub boxes assumingly designed for their subs, similar power both of which my amp should happily push

so now i'm trying to find out which would have a better sound quality and response (guessing rockford) and whether the volume output of both would be similar.

feedback is much appreciated :)

i always like to do my research before spending money so i know i'm getting the best product for my price range

Archived