Sonic Electronix

Opinions or reviews on polk db1222

Hey just looking for people's opinions on the polk db1222 dual sub enclosure.

I currently have 2 mtx rt12-04 subs, one sealed and one ported in my car but just doesn't sound that good, it's loud but I don't think they're meant to run in a ported box even though mtx sells them with a factory ported box.

From the specs I've found on the polk subs it looks like they (should) be fine in the box they ship with so it'd be good to know peoples experiences with them or possible alternatives that sound loud and clean.

It will all be run off my pioneer gm-d9601 amp so 800 watts at 2 ohm or 1200 at 1 ohm is as far as my power reaches but something similar price wise to the polks, cheers

right now building a custom box isn't really an option, both the subs are old and i suspect the one in the ported box has been burning, so not going to go to the effort of building a custom box to suit subs that really aren't worth putting effort into, hence why i'm asking about anybody's experience with the polk subs as they seem like a good option and much cheaper than buying 2 new subs and making a box for them

I had a pair of Polk db 12's sealed clean and accurate but not loud...

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I had them for a few months giving 800 to the pair and they did fine. Who ever burnt them up was clipping them.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Most entry level subs get roasted, cause newer bassheads run on smaller amps and run them into clipping.

Nothing wrong with entry subs at all, just newer guys don't realize they are driving there amps hard.

Take the same subs give them clean power, and the same amp and don't run into clipping, shit they might last long than you.

Welcome Alex to the forum, poorfish

sounds good so far, thanks.

just hoping that if i bite the bullet and get them they'll still be fairly tight in the factory ported box since i listen to a mix of hip hop and electro stuff to rock and metal, i'd keep what i have already but it's second hand and in the wrong enclosures.

also thanks poorfish, i went and bought myself a little cheap oscope off ebay before my larger amp, definitely not clipping and feeding the 2 subs as close to recommended power at the moment, only issue is the subs are meant to go in sealed boxes even though the mtx rt12av comes with a factory ported one hence why i'm worried about the coils burning even when not overpowered or clipped.

just hope i can sell some of my stuff so i can get the polks, having 3 subs and an amp laying around seems like a bit much haha

Ya, your one sealed, one ported box is not good at all. I don't really think prefabs are either, but the Polks you listed are designed by Polk for those subs. What a true prefab is to me

is a bare box with no sub until someone sticks any random sub in it. If, I were you I'd look at Sundown, DC audio, Soundqueb they all make subs even there lowest line are better.

Sundown has some inexpensive subs that would out perform the sub you mentioned. Ct Sounds, is another company on the come up. Polks meh, I was typing in my first post as

you already had them.

nah, looking for other options or opinions on the polks, the sealed sub of mine is in a box that's a little smaller than spec, the ported came in a factory ported enclosure built to their spec but the sub itself has an efficiency bandwidth product of 48 or so which is supposedly only recommended to go in sealed, also i don't think the brands you mentioned are available in australia, i was considering alpine type r's but they seem to be more of a hype brand rather than quality.

from what i've seen available in stores and australian online retailers the brands available to me are alpine, kenwood, pioneer, rockford, soundstream, vibe, polk, morel (i think), kicker and fusion though alipine, rockford, vibe and morel are a little too far out my price range, the db1222 subs and enclosure are $400 through elite electronics which works out $300 cheaper than usual retail.

sorry if my mind seems set, i've just been looking a fair bit and the price i'm willing to pay is a bit limited, also finding 3/4" mdf seems harder than it should be in my area, so the fee to build a custom box seems to start at $200 min and go upwards, or i'd need to get myself some tools, cheap router, saw, decent drill etc.

i'm a tad stingy at times

Archived