Sundown Audio

x-over question

briang77

I am running a kicker cx 600.1 for my subs. (I know, I know.... I will get something better as soon as I can) Anyway the crossover on the amp is fixed, Meaning there is no switch to turn it to full or off. I just installed an alpine 148 bt in my car yesterday. I would like to use the crossover in the head unit as it has an adjustable slope. Can I just turn the fixed crossover on the amp all the way open ? Then use the one in the head unit to set it as I like ? Or would that cause some weird phase shift ? Basically am I stuck until I can afford a better amp ? Thanks

Cool man thanks, Is it ok to set it like that ? or will it cause unwanted distortion ? or even worse damage the subs. The xover on the amps highest setting is 200hz. So if I set it so that the headunit cuts it off at 80hz what will happen to the signal between 80-200hz ? Will it distort ? I know xovers have roll off slopes, Which I can adjust the slope either 6 ,12, 18, 24 with my new head unit . Will the rolled off frequencies from 80-200hz, Which are too high to correctly run through a sub and have it sound good, cause me to damage the subs?

I figured it out.....this.....The slope defines how quickly frequencies are attenuated outside of the crossover point. A 6dB/oct slope means that (for a low pass crossover) every octave you go up in frequency outside of the crossover region will be attenuated by 6dB. A higher order crossover such as one at 24dB/oct will attenuate the high frequencies at a much faster rate. If you use two crossovers at the same time, the slope, or the rate of attenuation, adds together within any overlap of frequencies. If you had two 6dB/oct crossovers at 80hz, the effect would be the same as using a single 12dB/oct crossover at 80hz.

I figured it out.....this.....The slope defines how quickly frequencies are attenuated outside of the crossover point. A 6dB/oct slope means that (for a low pass crossover) every octave you go up in frequency outside of the crossover region will be attenuated by 6dB. A higher order crossover such as one at 24dB/oct will attenuate the high frequencies at a much faster rate. If you use two crossovers at the same time, the slope, or the rate of attenuation, adds together within any overlap of frequencies. If you had two 6dB/oct crossovers at 80hz, the effect would be the same as using a single 12dB/oct crossover at 80hz.

Exactly.. That's what I was about to say. Either way would be safe considering you set it right. It all depends on your ears.. Some like higher slopes some like lower slopes. A 24db slope is good to me that's why I liked my pioneer over the kenwood hu I had.. The pioneer had a higher slope on its covers than the kenwood did which made a difference in sound to my ears. I would use both if I were you. Also I'm wondering whether or not the amp has a subsonic filter. If it doesn't then you either need to add an active crossover or upgrade your amp quick before you start bottoming out your subs.

You need trunk space to get groceries and shit...bitches love groceries

Archived