Sundown Audio

JBL BP1200.1 for two Sundown SA-12's

essque

Whats up, I picked up a pristine JBL BP1200.1 last summer and I'm about to put it good use on two SA-12's. I understand that the amp is 1 ohm stable but I also read that it puts out the same power at 2 ohms as it does at 1 ohm (which I find somewhat bewildering). I was wondering if someone wiser than myself could tell me if I should get the dual 4 ohm SA-12's and run them at 1 ohm or get the dual 2 ohm subs and run it at 2 ohm's? In other words, wouldn't it put less strain on the amp at 2 ohms instead of 1? Or does it not make much of a difference? Any thoughts would be appreciated and if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's probably because I don't.

I'm not to familiar with that amp.i always thought they were 2ohm stable.if same power at 1,2 ohm I would go 1ohm for reason if that amps breaks and i need a replacement its easier to find 1ohm stable amps.but at 2ohm you'll probably be more efficient.you should stick with 2ohms.

Test Performed @ Laboratory Measurements by Ken C. Polhmann Senior Technician, Hammer Labs

14.4 Volt Power:
(max output w/ 1% THD)
841.1 Watts x 1 @ 4 ohms
1,378.1 Watts X 1 @ 2 ohms

12- Volt Power:
(max output w/ 1% THD)
683.8 watts x 1 @ 4ohms
1,039.7 Watts x 1 @ 2ohms

Input Sensitivity:
(for 1 watt output): 19 to 290mv

THD Plus Noise (at 1 watt) 0.2%

S/N ratio:
At max gain, 72.8 db
At min gain, 76.8 db

Freq. Resp.:
@ 20Hz, -0.37 db
@ 300 Hz, -3.65 db

ahh yes, that is a good point if the amp dies. the dilemma is will i make it die a fast death running the hell out of it at 1 ohm lol

Going say this I have ran two different brand 2ohm stable amps at 1ohm they did get hot faster and protect.after a year and half one smoked.really don't think that jbl is a true 1ohm amp.

Get the dual 2ohm for whatever reason if need replace the amp you can always a buy a bigger 1ohm amp like a 2000 watt amp and run at 2ohm to archive the power you need.

Test Performed @ Laboratory Measurements by Ken C. Polhmann Senior Technician, Hammer Labs

14.4 Volt Power:

(max output w/ 1% THD)

841.1 Watts x 1 @ 4 ohms

1,378.1 Watts X 1 @ 2 ohms

12- Volt Power:

(max output w/ 1% THD)

683.8 watts x 1 @ 4ohms

1,039.7 Watts x 1 @ 2ohms

Input Sensitivity:

(for 1 watt output): 19 to 290mv

THD Plus Noise (at 1 watt) 0.2%

S/N ratio:

At max gain, 72.8 db

At min gain, 76.8 db

Freq. Resp.:

@ 20Hz, -0.37 db

@ 300 Hz, -3.65 db

If these are the specs on the amp it isn't 1 ohm stable it 2 ohms stable.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived