Second Skin Audio

port help

Oh and the recommended ported enclosure is 2cuft, not 1.25cuft. If you are planning to opt for a 1.25cuft enclosure, it should be a sealed enclosure. Speaking of which, you haven't told us the size of the current enclosure.

That sub in ported will sound very peaky around 50Hz or so, Sealed is better for it.

If you sound distorted you have a different problem like gains settings.

Or a leaky enclosure, as he mentioned the current one has a lot of screw holes.

What is the actual model number of the amplifier, it'd begin with XS-.

As for the gain, that I can't tell you, it could be clipping at 1/4 for all I know. However, we can talk you through properly setting the gain. If you can tell me the model number of the amplifier and you have a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter), I'd gladly link you to a page on setting the gain with a DMM and test tones.

One can also set the gain by sound with the use of test tones, but it risks damage to any subs or speakers asked to play it. If you have a way to High-Pass Filter (HPF) the full-range speakers or unhook them, then this method can be quite effective and fairly safe. With the aid of a helper, the gain can be effectively set in 10 seconds.

It's a mono Sony 1000. I know it's basically junk, but it does the trick and have no clue what to upgrade to without spending a ton. I'd guess the amp is 6ish years old. Very plain jane with minimal settings. Just has a on/off for lpf, and gain

Your sub will work badly on ported and the amp is junk, for example get a HSD212 ($99) sub (600WRMS) and a Rockford Fosgate R500X1D ($149, will do 600W) and do a nice box for the sub, not too expensive and will get you much louder.

That amp (Xm-1652Z) should be 400W RMS @ 4 ohm bridged and has no subsonic filter.

While I will agree that his current equipment leaves much to be desired, he has it already, so there's no harm is finding out if it can be setup to keep him content while saving up for something better.

Anyways, amplifier is rated at 400RMSx1 bridged, which is what the sub is rated for, so it should be an ideal power match. However, based off it's fuse rating, Class AB efficiency, Sony's reputation, etc etc, I wouldn't expect it to produce such cleanly, even if it's CEA compliant. Still, there's two ways you can go about setting the gain. There's the DMM method and then just setting the gain by sound, both with the aid of test tones.

Since I doubt the amplifiers ability to cleanly produce 400RMS, I'd be a little leery of recommending you set the gain with a DMM, but you can if you like, it's still likely to be safer than setting by ear while playing music. You'd follow this guide. There is even a link for JL's tutorial on setting gains and then links for test tones you can download as well.

As for setting by ear, it's likely to give a more accurate setting, but risks damage to any/all speakers/subs that play the test tone. However, if done correctly and with the aid of a helper, it can take but 10 seconds, which greatly reduces the likelihood of damage occurring.

If I may, which method would you prefer to use and what model is your stereo?

My next step will be a 5-600 w Rockford amp. I think that's the best next step?

Then onto a dc sub. Something rated in that range for RMS. Should that put me considerably louder? And any suggestions. And glad I made this thread better spending money on building a box when I should be upgrading amp

Archived