Sundown Audio

Mono amp gain setting issue

So I started from scratch and did the whole setup process for setting gains with the DMM-1. My HU's undistorted volume is 36/40. Then I went on to set my gains for my 4 channel which I had no problem doing. Then last I did my mono amp for my subs. The issue is that when my volume is at 36 and gain at 0 as soon as i turn the gain past 0 it says distortion. I feel like because of this now my subs are being underpowered. What can I do to remedy this? Do I have to reduce all my gains to match a lower volume or is there an amp issue going on?? The subwoofers sound entirely different since I made this change and do hit anywhere as hard.

yes the DD1. Mono amp is Alpine MRP-M500. EQ all set to flat. Bass boost is set at 6db on amp only but has been on that setting since I bought the amp back in 2007. Should I try setting the gain with Boost set on 0. I was pretty sure it said in the instruction manual to keep Bass boost at normal listening setting.

No need for bass boost, if you need more power get a slightly bigger amp and use the -5 track to tune it. It probably sounded louder to you than before tuning because you were clipping them which is no bueno. This happened with my first setup, it was louder but after I DD1'd it the output wasn't as much but it sounded WAY better

1898070_635754349830843_1457278514_n_zps

Also when I set the gain for my subs I have to leave them plugged in to get a signal. With my 4 channel amp I can read the signal through the positive terminal and amp ground without the rcas plugged in no problem. But for the subs the only way the DD1 detects the signal is if the RCAs are plugged into the amp.

No need for bass boost, if you need more power get a slightly bigger amp and use the -5 track to tune it. It probably sounded louder to you than before tuning because you were clipping them which is no bueno. This happened with my first setup, it was louder but after I DD1'd it the output wasn't as much but it sounded WAY better

I set the sub gain with track 1 because i heard it was better since it was at 0 db.

Archived