Second Skin Audio

box for two SA-12's Question?

fracl

The port will not be very efficient so it may not be as loud as it potentially could be, not saying it will sound bad or anything like that. On the price, yes that's why round ports are not preferred, round ports are a life saver if you simply don't have the space for a slot ported box otherwise slot ports are (usually) the way to go.

A proper slot ported box would only need 2-3 inches of extra depth, no extra cost just the wood cut to specs.

It's very important to build the cardboard dummy box suggested though, it happens so often that a box of given size seems that will fit and then it doesn't, a big waste of time and money.

The port will not be very efficient so it may not be as loud as it potentially could be, not saying it will sound bad or anything like that. On the price, yes that's why round ports are not preferred, round ports are a life saver if you simply don't have the space for a slot ported box otherwise slot ports are (usually) the way to go.

A proper slot ported box would only need 2-3 inches of extra depth, no extra cost just the wood cut to specs.

It's very important to build the cardboard dummy box suggested though, it happens so often that a box of given size seems that will fit and then it doesn't, a big waste of time and money.

thanks for explaining this in details. you're a good man Joe X.

would it be better with two or three 4" inch round ports or something? its almost the same price for me.. , and I wish I could but, its a small car so.. small trunk. I did build a box with 3/4 x 3/4 inch wood lats so I know it fits.

and im planning on getting the SoundQubed Q1-2200D to push these at 1 ohm. do you think its a good choice amp for this application?

I just made 2 cut out from paper for the subs 12 5/8 outside diameter , then one 9-1/4" for the port and I put "em on the 32 1/2" x 16" face I made to mimic the box and the cut outs overlap a bit.. should I port it on the side instead? unless we add 2" inches to the 32.5 to make it a bit wider.? even then it would remove a lot of wood on the face of the box.. ive seen those ports on the side is this something to consider?

thanks

I went to try a fake box I did out of wood lats. and I can fit 15h x 35w x 20d for sure so, don't know if its better but at least it would give me more room on the front to fit the subs and port. and that gives me about 4" inches of space in the front.

Amp is good, even if pushing hard 3 4" flared should be ok, it would look like this, power: to 800 W per sub, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, port clearance 4", figure is just an assembly guide:

2sa12aerov_4_3.jpg

3_4_SFPF.jpg

Amp is good, even if pushing hard 3 4" flared should be ok, it would look like this, power: to 800 W per sub, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, port clearance 4", figure is just an assembly guide:

2sa12aerov_4_3.jpg

3_4_SFPF.jpg

thanks man, but that's not gonna fit. the ports are gonna be too long to fit in the trunk , oh well.

what if I make the box with the 6" inch port 35 wide? would that change the length of the port for tuning? I guess so hey! how about I just put that 6" inch port on the side. would that be a bad idea ? would it sound bad.. ive seen a box on youtube with a side port. but is it something I should consider.

thanks

This one should fit and be easy to build, . Power: 900W per sub, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, port clearance 3 1/2", figure is just an assembly guide:

2sa12.jpg

212sfpfnt_zpsf9adf723.jpg

ya this looks nice, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out. :)

The box with a port on the side would need to be about 6" narrower and it can't be deeper to allow for port clearance, that would reduce it's internal volume so I think you would do better with the above.

The box with a port on the side would need to be about 6" narrower and it can't be deeper to allow for port clearance, that would reduce it's internal volume so I think you would do better with the above.

ok thanks.., I like this one though, looks simple enough to make, I can get all the cuts done at the store.

Archived