Second Skin Audio

box for two SA-12's Question?

fracl

hi guys, I ordered two SA-12's and want to build a ported box for my car. would be in the trunk its a 2008 Kia Rio. ive seen a few designs by Joe x like the one in this thread : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161985-sundown-sa-12-ported-box/#entry2508852 if I build this one im only gonna have about 3 to 4 inches between the box port and the trunk wall.! is that ok? I wish I could just shave an inch from the height and one or 2 from the depth of the box but that would mess up the tuning probly would it?

thanks

hi guys, I ordered two SA-12's and want to build a ported box for my car. would be in the trunk its a 2008 Kia Rio. ive seen a few designs by Joe x like the one in this thread : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161985-sundown-sa-12-ported-box/#entry2508852 if I build this one im only gonna have about 3 to 4 inches between the box port and the trunk wall.! is that ok? I wish I could just shave an inch from the height and one or 2 from the depth of the box but that would mess up the tuning probly would it?

thanks

Yes if you start shaving here and there it will detune and else, if you post your max dims for a box I can draw you something that fits keeping the specs.

thanks man. :)

I can use 33" (better) but if not 34" wide, it come down to the wider it is the less I can push it back. depth of 20" is ok and height of 15" to 15.5". how about if I was gonna buy a round port instead would that give more room? im just saying,.

I found this from you Joe X for two SA-12's:

"For a 4 cubic feet net enclosure a 6 aero 12 inch long (about half of the flange(s) length(s) excluded) will tune you to 34 Hz. But port area is below recommendation,

3 4" aeros 16.8 length will do the same within recommended port area range."

id prefer doing it with a round port as I live in an apt. building and cant be cutting or sanding as much as I like. if I do the round port I can get all cuts done at home depot and just assemble here with only the holes to cut out. but im not sure what I should order? 1 6" or 3 4" ? ive seen 1 8" as well on youtube.

aero ports are more efficient than slot. your fine

ok thanks, so should I just put the port in the middle of the box. does it matter? and he says 12" long how do I measure this.. is it just the tube itself without the ends/flange? I was thinking of doing 34w x 14h x 15d it gives me 4.1 if im correct.

oh and where is the best place to order that port. do you have someone on here that sells "em.

thanks

I can use 33" (better) but if not 34" wide, it come down to the wider it is the less I can push it back. depth of 20" is ok and height of 15" to 15.5". how about if I was gonna buy a round port instead would that give more room? im just saying,.

This would not be ideal spec as stated before but if you still want to do it, it can be done. Power: to sub(s) rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, port clearance 6", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

2sa12aero.jpg

2sa12pic.jpg

Here is a properly flared port that would barely compensate for the smaller port area:

http://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-6-flared-port-tube-kit--268-354

This would not be ideal spec as stated before but if you still want to do it, it can be done. Power: to sub(s) rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, port clearance 6", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

2sa12aero.jpg

2sa12pic.jpg

Here is a properly flared port that would barely compensate for the smaller port area:

http://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-6-flared-port-tube-kit--268-354

hey thanks man, but you say its not ideal specs ..! how would it sound? worst comes to worst id go the other way.. plus that port from partsexpress is gonna cost me about $90 bucks with shipping and duty fees.. I didn't think itd be that expensive. I just though id be easier that way for me.

Archived