Second Skin Audio

Subs Up Port Back Vs. Subs Back Port Back

No real way to tell, both are tested and trusted designs. Unless your ready to build, tweak and test each, there is really no way to tell. You just want to look at how the subs will react with the port. You will want a free flowing movement from front to back for the subs and port

Edited by kingsuv

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

It will probally be something like this off the top of my head. The green is the port lenght. Then non dotted line could be possibly an estimate of my 40hz port lenght. The dotted line is going to be the port lenght of my spl tuned boxtuned to 68hz (not exact just an image example off the top of my head). Would you see any problems in that design? Blue circles being subs of course. Please let me know kingsuv, i really appreciate your help.

untitled-24.jpg

Edited by PaulO2288

Based off that, I would do the subs more over the port. You don't want the subs to have uneven pressure from the different depths of the box.

If you move them more over the port, (down)then you have that wall for them to properly load off of.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Based off that, I would do the subs more over the port. You don't want the subs to have uneven pressure from the different depths of the box.

If you move them more over the port, (down)then you have that wall for them to properly load off of.

Not meaning to be a pain in the ass, but what if I dident need a port that long and it was around the lenght of the dotted line. Would it still be ok? Subs wuold be over the bottom of the box not over the port.

As long as it's flat under the subs. So either no port wall or all. You want to avoid an uneven loading to the botom of the subs. The same would go for something over the top of the sub. You wouldn't want to cover half the top.

The other thing to consider is, if you have the subs pushing over the opening of the port, all that other space in the box becomes dead air space.