Rebuilding a 60 gal 6hp air compressor

So i have a campbell hausfield air compressor that locked up on me a few years back so i bought a new pump for it im at the point where i need to pick a pulley for the motor. the specs on the motor are 3450 rpm, however im not sure if that is based on the shaft which is 5/8s or the 3" pulley already on there. the air pump is 1200 rpm max, so its a matter of choosing the correct size pulley. that all being said, if the rpm for the motor is based off the 5/8" shaft that would mean the 3" pulley riding it is doing 718 rpm then turning the 10.5 inch pulley in the motor is turning at 205 rpm. im not sure if that low rpm would be sufficient to run the air pump, anybody know if im looking to deep into this or if im missing something. the air compressor model is vt619500aj with the following specs11.5 cfm @ 40 psi 9.1 cfm @ 90 psi 125 psi max, the motor if by emerson. my new pump specs are Motor Type: 3HP/2.2kw Air Delivery: 12.2 CFM @ 90PSI (600-800RPM) Max. Pressure: 145 PSI / Max. Speed: 1250 RPM 10-1/2'' With V-Groove Flywheel Ball Bearing Check Valve Release. based off that info i think im shooting for getting that large pulley to spin @ 600-800 rpm which will be interesting if the motor is in fact based off of shaft size. i cant find info on the motor online. here are the sites im using for calcs.

http://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

http://www.culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Pulley-and-RPM-Calculator.html

Go to bed broski you aren't thinking straight lol :P

RPM for the motor is 3450rpm

RPM for the pulley attached to the motor is 3450rpm

RPM for the pump is a function of the motor speed and difference in pulley size between the motor and pump

With that said.. I'm coming up with ~985rpm for the pump

Also make sure you get the tank tested/inspected while it's apart. A 60gal tank coming apart at 100+ psi could cause a LOT of damage

Archived