Sundown Audio

How reliable is setting gain with a multimeter?

csermonet47

I was going to go with a Soundstream Rubicon 1600, but have always been weary because I know its a love/hate amp line here. I am really intrigued by the American Bass Phantom 4000, I know AB is a very well liked brand, and the Phantom line appears to be well made. I saw a mag review of the 2500 Phantom, and it did damn near rated on the bench. After a email to AB(which the response time was unbelievably quick) they said the 4000 does 900w RMS at 4 ohms. And these amps can be had for a little more than $200, seems like a bargain! I am no expert but the internals look beefier than the Rubi as well, and none of the plastic adjustment knob crap. My question is, can you dial the RMS output back a bit with the multimeter method? I would shoot for around 750 RMS so I don't blow the sub, and that should also give me fully clean power with that amp. I just don't want to blow my sub, I would eventually upgrade with all that extra power on tap, but in the mean time I was wondering if I could do the DMM method to get a certain output.

After all of this talk, you're still unclear if the DMM method will give your a clean setup?

The answer is NOOOOOOOOO! The reason: You have NO clue what the maximum CLEAN volume that your headunit goes to without clipping or distortion. Without knowing this, everything you adjust past there with the gain knob is ALSO unknown.

If you start out with a dirty signal and you amplify it, you have an amplified dirty signal. Does this make sense? The logic is the same as if you had a vacuum cleaner and a bunch of red beads on a piece of carpet. When you vacuum them up, they are red going in and red coming out. That don't change somewhere inside of the vacuum hosing to to blue beads.

P.S. This alSo has nothing to do with equipment Choice. Sure, there are preferred brands here but the important thing is that you setup YOUR gear for the maximum CLEAN output with the proper method.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

After all of this talk, you're still unclear if the DMM method will give your a clean setup?

No, I am fully aware that setting gains with a DMM is not a guarantee of clean output. I understand that even if I set my gains considerably lower than optimal, I will still not know if its clean. And I still will not know if my source unit is putting out a clean signal. Please feel free to re-read my previous post, nowhere did I ask anything about getting a clean signal with the DMM. All I wanted to know is if it was possible to get a desired output from an amp by using the DMM. Also, I did not intend to turn this into a VS thread comparing the Rubi to the AB. I only stated the amp models for the sake of comparing power output. These car audio forums are a tough crowd.

You don't want to blow your sub right? I remember reading that pretty heavily.

If you watt to RISK blowing your sub, go for the DMM method. If you want to KNOW you sun and amp are going to perform to the best of their clean ability, set it properly. You say you want to KNOW if you achieve your desired output with the DMM method. If your desired output is an unknown, possibly clipped signal, then the DMM is the way to go.

The reason I responded the way I did was this:

You have a couple pages of information from experienced users telling you NOT to use the DMM and reasons explaining why. You have ALL of this information neatly in your own thread for you to read. You then ask, one more time, if the DMM is going to be ok. If you haven't figured out that it certainly is not, then I don't know what else to tell you. If you're going to use the DMM method regardless of the advice given, why ask further questions. Go set your amp to 52V and be done with it.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Here ya go, till you can get a DD1, I have a similar unit I used.

My system is small, 1 sub 1 amp nothing special, but I didnt wanna kill my sub.

It's better then a DMM or setting it by ear, and easy to use....

Thanks for the helpful post. There is a oscope you can get on ebay for around that price that you hook up to your computer, wonder if it would be easier to see distortion with a bigger monitor?

Here is the one I am looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hantek-6022BE-PC-Based-USB-Digital-Storag-Oscilloscope-2Channels-20MHz-48MSa-s-/221270085136?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item3384b98e10

Someone should do a write up, pin it, and then lock every thread that starts up about gains, multimeter and ear-o-meters. fuck.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived