Sundown Audio

How reliable is setting gain with a multimeter?

csermonet47

The car I purchased last year has an aftermarket setup installed by the previous owner, and I have recently been going behind him and fixing the wiring and making sure all the amplifier settings are adjusted properly. I read on the Sonic Electronix website that you can set amplifier gain with a multimeter by taking the square root of the RMS x ohms.

The current amplifier is an MB Quart FX400.1 connected to a 4 ohm sub. The amplifier manual states that it puts out 200w RMS at 4 ohms. So 200w x 4 ohms is 800, and the square root of 800 is 28.2. I played a 50hz test tone via Bluetooth that I found on youtube, set the volume on the head unit to 80% of max, and set the gain to 28.1v on the multimeter. Is this a reliable method? I also used this method to setup the mids/highs using a 1khz test tone found on youtube as well.

I plan on upgrading the amplifiers, I imagine having the gain set properly on those will be a little more vital because of the increased power, so I was just wondering if this is a good method to set gain without having access to an o-scope or DD1.

It's not reliable at all a dmm has no way of recognizing distortion or clipping. Where do you live? there may be a memeber near you with a dd-1 that would help you out.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Did you use the search function before starting this thread? This question has been answered several times already.

I did not, this forum seems to have alot of traffic and it has been hard for me to find what I am l looking for. Sorry.

That's why you hit the search button

And not go through every thread

It's not reliable at all a dmm has no way of recognizing distortion or clipping. Where do you live? there may be a memeber near you with a dd-1 that would help you out.

I am in the Atlanta area.

There is also nan SMD toolz section where you can usually find someone in your area that can help you with tools

Did you use the search function before starting this thread? This question has been answered several times already.

I did not, this forum seems to have alot of traffic and it has been hard for me to find what I am l looking for. Sorry.

That's why you hit the search button

And not go through every thread

As I said, this forum has a lot of traffic and it has been hard for me to find what I am looking for. That's why I made this thread. Sorry if I am giving you a headache.

Smoove - Thanks for the tip. I may call around to some local auto parts stores, etc, see if anyone has an o-scope available for rental.

I'm sorry if I sounded like a jerk. It's not your fault. I've been around and seen this same thread several times, you wouldn't know that though. There are plenty of local guys near you with proper tools for setting a gain.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived