Second Skin Audio

Need Suggestions, C&C please! (TL Project)

So I've been designing and debating on many different ideas for this project. I would greatly appreciate ANY C&C as I'm trying to figure out what would work best. I've decided on a design that I think is appropriate and that will work well with the subwoofer in question. The basics; am going to be using 3/4" MDF, a TC Sounds Epic 8" Subwoofer, all the necessaries for adhesion, and it is going to be mounted down-firing as a center console in a 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab.

Overview of the design

5 Outer walls

3 TL ports

6 Braces

Below is the design created in BassBox Pro software and all the parameters used. I used the DATS v1 with the sub wired in parallel in order to read the T/S parameters of the actual unit itself.

The top and bottom TL ports themselves measure out to be 13.5" X 21.25" X .75"

The middle one is 13.5" X 21.5" X .75"

Once I have started the project I will also post pictures of updated stuff here.

Epic8_Design.jpg

Epic8box.jpg
Epic8box2.jpg

Epic8box3.jpg

Epic8box4.jpg

Epic8box5.jpg

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

Alpine IVA-D901 7" Single DIN

Infinity 3.5" Front Tweeters

6.5" Toxik Audio SST65

5.25" Toxik Audio SST525

100W Goldwood Tweeters

Eclipse DA6213 500Wx2

Alpine MRP-M250

I'm no expert on T-lines, but isn't the port supposed to be the same dimension throughout its length?

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I do believe you are right. As this is my first TL design I was tinkering trying to make sure I stuck with the correct length for the ports. They are all 21 inches long, just slightly angled. This is also the reason as to why I posted it on here, I wanted to make sure before actually building that the "angled" baffles for the port were in fact going to work and wouldn't take away or affect the ultimate sound. I'm attempting to pick the brains of fellow audio enthusiasts as I normally use Aero style ports and this would be my first attempt at a ported setup with a completely different design. Thanks though I hope that our fellow bassheads will be able to answer your and my questions

6.5" Toxik Audio SST65

5.25" Toxik Audio SST525

100W Goldwood Tweeters

Eclipse DA6213 500Wx2

Alpine MRP-M250

I'm no expert on T-lines, but isn't the port supposed to be the same dimension throughout its length?

They don't have to be. If you taper the line area down from the sub to the exit it makes the line perform like it is longer than it really is, it will save you some space but you lose some efficiency doing this, which is why you very rarely seen it done in the car audio world.

That being said, in the OP pictures he has the line tapering down and then getting bigger again, which is not what you would want IMHO.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

That being said, in the OP pictures he has the line tapering down and then getting bigger again, which is not what you would want IMHO.

^so flattening out the ports would definitely be advantageous is what I'm gathering. Would also potentially make my overall height not as tall too. Which would also make things easier for me in a way. Just need to figure out what corners I'll have to cut to make things work a bit better.

I'm currently working on another Sketchup model based on the box parameters described in image one. I will post when done. Thanks again for the info guys, I truly need and appreciate all I can get

6.5" Toxik Audio SST65

5.25" Toxik Audio SST525

100W Goldwood Tweeters

Eclipse DA6213 500Wx2

Alpine MRP-M250

Archived