Ritch40 Posted August 4, 2014 Report Posted August 4, 2014 In this case I am dealing with 2 RE Audio SXX 15" The box is common chambered with 9.92 cuft net. The port is 75cuin by 15" long. The amp is a Hifonics Zues 3200. During testing I only was able to clamp 975 watts. My gross impedance was at 2.27 ohms( a net rise of .77ohms). That was at both 30Hz and 35Hz. Measured dc resistance of 1.5 ohms I tested every 5Hz from 15Hz to 80 Hz using a sine wave tone with amplitude set for 0db I range from 1.94 ohms at the lowest point, to 3.47 ohms at the highest point. What (if anything) can be done to manage and control the box rise a bit and bring the numbers down a little bit? I am just attempting to squeeze as much out both the amp and the subs as I can. Thank you very much in advance for any and all information and knowledge that you folks can share!!
Krakin Posted August 4, 2014 Report Posted August 4, 2014 If you are in competition going after every last .1 dB that is one thing, if not then there isn't a need to worry about it. I would work on more things like box placement, port design, baffle design, box strengthening, and acoustic treatments. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Ritch40 Posted August 4, 2014 Author Report Posted August 4, 2014 krackin...your probably a very good one for me to discuss some box alterations with. when i originally built this box, i was working with some bad information on how the port needed to be built. instead of building a whole new box i have been looking at just altering whats here to make needed improvements in sound quality. what i have been simulating is opening the port up to 122.5 sqin opening 22" long. this is a T style port. from what i see on frequency response, and rear port velocity it seems like a good move. what is your opinion on this??
Krakin Posted August 4, 2014 Report Posted August 4, 2014 Sorry for not putting a reason behind all that, my bad for a 4 AM post. The reason is because with the impedance variations of a ported enclosure you are going to have two peaks with a valley in the middle somewhere. fM is the point in which you will find the tuned frequency of your enclosure. RE is the DC resistance of the speaker. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Krakin Posted August 4, 2014 Report Posted August 4, 2014 A large percent of the time it is best to just build a whole new box, as the work required to fix one already put together doesn't really outweigh the $34 for a new slab of MDF. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Krakin Posted August 4, 2014 Report Posted August 4, 2014 A T style port? Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Ritch40 Posted August 4, 2014 Author Report Posted August 4, 2014 i do agree with you on that. considering the fact i intent at some point in i hope the not too distant future to sell this set of subs i am looking to avoid that at this time.
Ritch40 Posted August 4, 2014 Author Report Posted August 4, 2014 yes...port and subs face forward. port sits between the 2 subs and had to T off to each side seen as the box was not deep enough to do a straight port
Ritch40 Posted August 4, 2014 Author Report Posted August 4, 2014 if it will help you see whats going on i can put it together on sketch up later today. and then see once if it really is in my best interests to start from scratch
Krakin Posted August 4, 2014 Report Posted August 4, 2014 That would be good. I'm off for the night. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.