Sundown Audio

Is there really this big of an increase in quality?

dawgs007

Im now curious. While trying a 40hz test tone just to see how audible or felt it is, I noticed that 40hz and below is barely reproduced by the sub. Is this common?

Going to depend on your tuning.
so it's not too uncommon? And i have a kenwood excelon kdc-x397. It IS listed to have 3 4volt outputs. So you're saying that my gain should be 2-3 at the most and bass boost off? Wouldnt that make the subwoofer nearly powerless? I'm asking just for knowledge-sake

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

As long as your amplifier gain is set to receive 4 volt input from your head unit, it will produce full power without clipping (unless you have absolute crap electrical) You'd only need to turn the gain up more if your head unit produced say 2volts on the pre outs.

WTF? Hybrid parking? Really? What the hell is going on with these smug bastards?! I want gas guzzler parking right up front so i dont have to circle the parking lot 40 times and ruin the enviroment.

Im now curious. While trying a 40hz test tone just to see how audible or felt it is, I noticed that 40hz and below is barely reproduced by the sub. Is this common?

Going to depend on your tuning.
so it's not too uncommon? And i have a kenwood excelon kdc-x397. It IS listed to have 3 4volt outputs. So you're saying that my gain should be 2-3 at the most and bass boost off? Wouldnt that make the subwoofer nearly powerless? I'm asking just for knowledge-sake

The gain isn't a volume knob. The only function of it is to be matched to the max voltage of the headunit. In your case, you have a 4v headunit... Assuming at max unclipped output it puts out the 4 volts claimed, you would want that gain knob to be set at the level required to match 4 volts. Your amp has a sensitivity of 150mv to 5 volts, so in that range is the magic spot for 4 volts, which wouldn't be past the 2-3 mark.

As you turn the volume up on the headunit, your preouts (RCA's) voltage rises. At max, it would put out 4 volts. Matching the gain on the amp to 4 volts, tells the amp when the headunit is at max volume, which in turn has the amp putting out its max wattage. The same goes for every volume setting between minimum and maximum on the headunit, the voltage through the RCA's is what changes the volume being put out by the amp.

Bass boost is only going to put you into clipping and add distortion into the situation.

Just a minor correction here.

Remote Punch Level Control: The amplifier includes a wired Remote Punch Level Control, which is linked to the gain control of the amplifier. The module allows you to remotely control the output level of the amplifier from the dash or center console of your vehicle. The Remote Punch Level Control features a rotary dial, and comes with mounting hardware and a 16.5' connector cable.

Just a minor correction here.

Remote Punch Level Control: The amplifier includes a wired Remote Punch Level Control, which is linked to the gain control of the amplifier. The module allows you to remotely control the output level of the amplifier from the dash or center console of your vehicle. The Remote Punch Level Control features a rotary dial, and comes with mounting hardware and a 16.5' connector cable.

They have it all worded very confusing. Their bass boost on the amp is called the "Punch Eq" while the remote is "Remote Punch Level" and while the name makes it sound as it controls the boost, the description says gain. That's why I was waiting for anybody who owns one of these amps to chime in on what it definitely controls lol.

Another bit I'd like to add, while the HU may well have 4V preamps, unless you (the OP) cranks it to full tilt, the preamps will never produce such. If, for example, you aren't running a full-range amplifier and find the full-range speakers to be plenty loud at volume level 25/35 (don't recall if Kenwoods go up to that or what their max voolume is, haven't used one in nearly 15 years), then that is the volume you would want to use when setting the amp gain at at that point, the preamps may only be producing 2.5V.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing, I'll agree. They really shouldn't have put the word "punch" in the name of the function of the remote.

Worse yet is they have like 3 different models and types of the knobs also.

But in other news, I just went out and changed the gain to just a hair above 3 (not even a full number) and Punch EQ off. At first I was disappointed with how quiet it got. Then, like a ton of bricks, it hit me. Turn the Head Unit up. Sounds exactly as it did with the boost up and gain high.

To justify, my method before I made this MIRACULOUS discovery, was to keep the volume how I usually keep it (around 20) and crank up the gain and boost. That way the highs and mids stay the same but the bass kicks ass at a low level volume. Now, I have discovered that if I put the volume at 25 (with boost off and gain low), the subwoofer is just as loud as it was before BUT without the damage.

Knowledge and wise decisions has won yet again! lol :yahoo:

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

Yeah, it's a bit confusing, I'll agree. They really shouldn't have put the word "punch" in the name of the function of the remote.

Worse yet is they have like 3 different models and types of the knobs also.

But in other news, I just went out and changed the gain to just a hair above 3 (not even a full number) and Punch EQ off. At first I was disappointed with how quiet it got. Then, like a ton of bricks, it hit me. Turn the Head Unit up. Sounds exactly as it did with the boost up and gain high.

To justify, my method before I made this MIRACULOUS discovery, was to keep the volume how I usually keep it (around 20) and crank up the gain and boost. That way the highs and mids stay the same but the bass kicks ass at a low level volume. Now, I have discovered that if I put the volume at 25 (with boost off and gain low), the subwoofer is just as loud as it was before BUT without the damage.

Knowledge and wise decisions has won yet again! lol :yahoo:

There ya go. Still advisable to say that when you do have the opportunity to get with someone who has the tools to go over everything and make sure it's all good. But you're definitely in a lot safer place now than you were when you started this thread.

Archived