Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Enclosure advice for a Boston Pro Series 12


csermonet47

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a Boston Pro Series 12 and would like to mess around with enclosure design to get the most out of it. Currently, I have it in the manufacturer suggested 1cu/ft sealed box. I am about to upgrade to a higher RMS amp(from 200 to 700) and wanted to build a different box for it. Was thinking about going all the way up to around 1.7cu/ft sealed. I would like to play with a ported box as well, but according to Boston it wouldn't be a good candidate for ported. If anyone has any experience with these, I'd love for you to chime in. Basically wanted to get opinions on going up to 1.7 sealed, and if any of you think it would be a good candidate or not for ported.

Posted

if your fixing to hit it with more power i would probably leave the box alone. you apply more power and put it in a bigger box your liable to do some damage to the sub.

Posted

Thanks for the reply. From what i've read, giving a sub more power will give the bass more volume, correct? Will it improve the lower frequency's at all? The way it is now, it seems to have a sweet spot that where the sub hits really well, but almost completely silent at lower frequency's. When lower frequency's play, I can feel it and see my mirror's vibrating, but it is not as audible as I would like. I guess what I am trying to accomplish, is obviously more volume(hopefully accomplished with the amp upgrade), but I would also like to improve low end output as well. I will use the existing box first and see what it sounds like, maybe see if some polyfill improves it, if not, then explore a different box. I know the sub is a bit dated now, I was hoping to not have to spring for a new one, but that ultimately may be what I have to do to get what I am looking for.

Posted

There are general rules that apply to enclosures. However, Boston acoustics have designed the woofers for small boxes. Pro10=.7-.9cft/pro12=1-1.1 cft./spg555=1.5cft. All values are before subwoofer displacement. They Dont sound too great in big enclosures, but are incredibly detailed in small enclosures. Yes I understand they are not loud, if your trying to get loud then eventually consider swapping that woofer out for a spg555 maybe. We used to sell the entire line up until they closed shop.

Posted

Thanks for the reply. From what i've read, giving a sub more power will give the bass more volume, correct? Will it improve the lower frequency's at all? The way it is now, it seems to have a sweet spot that where the sub hits really well, but almost completely silent at lower frequency's. When lower frequency's play, I can feel it and see my mirror's vibrating, but it is not as audible as I would like. I guess what I am trying to accomplish, is obviously more volume(hopefully accomplished with the amp upgrade), but I would also like to improve low end output as well. I will use the existing box first and see what it sounds like, maybe see if some polyfill improves it, if not, then explore a different box. I know the sub is a bit dated now, I was hoping to not have to spring for a new one, but that ultimately may be what I have to do to get what I am looking for.

30hz and below gets hard to "hear". It's mostly bass that flexes panels. And yes polyfill will help. Boston's love it. If you want to hear low bass better, move over to a subsonic oriented woofer.

Posted

30hz and below gets hard to "hear". It's mostly bass that flexes panels. And yes polyfill will help. Boston's love it. If you want to hear low bass better, move over to a subsonic oriented woofer.

Thank you. I'll see what polyfill does for it, any suggestion for how much to use?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4297 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...