Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Got some questions about building a box for 2 SA 15s


GassenD

Recommended Posts

Posted

I don't have to exact measurements yet, but mocked up so designs just spitballing. This build wont happen for a couple months but I'll be putting 2 SA 15's on a SQ2200D in a 03 S10 Ext Cab.

I'm going to be going with Aero port for space reasons and so I'll be able to change tuning for daily and comp. What I'm wondering is what should I do for box bracing? My current box in my explorer is Double 3/4" MDF all around including port along with a "support" bolt in the port. Since this box won't have the help of the slot port for bracing what should I do for bracing?

Should just double 3/4" MDF all around be fine? Or what else could I use for bracing (If I even need bracing)?

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

Posted

wood dowel rod 1" to 1.5" diameter works well

another thing i have used that has worked well for me in the past is triangle braces. take a piece of say .75" mdf cut it in a 3" x 3" square then cut it in half so you have 2 triangles.

on my next box i will probably try fiber glassing all of the interior corners.

Posted

Doubling up the walls of a box anywhere except the baffle is pretty much just wasted materials and weight. Bracing internally with dowels like Ritch40 said or by building window braces out of MDF will get you a much stiffer box using a lot less material.

When I build I try to keep it so I don't have any un-braced spans greater than 10-12".

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Doubling up the walls of a box anywhere except the baffle is pretty much just wasted materials and weight. Bracing internally with dowels like Ritch40 said or by building window braces out of MDF will get you a much stiffer box using a lot less material.

When I build I try to keep it so I don't have any un-braced spans greater than 10-12".

thats an idea i will need to keep in mind too!

thank you for that idea

Posted

So 2 braces should be fine with the top doubled baffled, 1 brace going from front to back and another brace going top to bottom or side to side? If that made any sense?

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

Posted

So 2 braces should be fine with the top doubled baffled, 1 brace going from front to back and another brace going top to bottom or side to side? If that made any sense?

I can't really tell you if that would be enough bracing without knowing more about the box. Do you have any drawings or plans you can show us?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I'll make a sketchup model of it tonight after work.

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4297 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...