Possible cheap sound deadening fix?

This thread is absurd.

The OP isn't going to spend a dime to try this, yet he's asking instead of just doing it, and then 8 people jump on board trying to sell him deadener.

For fuck's sake, just do it and let us know if it works. What you plan doesn't sound permanent and it won't cost you more than 10 minutes of your time to just go out and do.

nobody is going to tell OP to put some tshirt and pillows in place to stop the rattles

we do shit right around here or don't do it at all.

First of all, half the people didn't even read what OP wrote, I'm sure of that. Second, who gave you the monopoly on the "right way" to do something? I don't so much worry about what some anonymous strangers on the internet thing as I worry about whether or not something works.

So if OP can jam a couple old T-Shirts between the panel and metal and stop it rattling to his satisfaction what's wrong with that? He isn't paying a dime and it'll take him about 5 minutes and a screwdriver to see if it works.

The question wasn't "How can I spend 100$ on deadener that will meet your approval?" But simply "can I stuff some rags between panels to stop them buzzing against eachother?" So all the show-offs here that are telling OP to fork over his money didn't really even address his question.

I've seen a couple unconventional (or "the wrong way") methods of securing panels and dampening that work amazingly well in some very loud builds. So don't lump me into your little club when you say "we" do things the right way. Speak for yourself. I'll test anything I can think of and go with what gives me results.

wow. you are something else.

I guess we can use horse shit cause it "works" as deadener right?

What about when the tshirt gets moldy and shrinks and does not "work" anymore?

AND we are all show offs because we use sound deadener to sound deaden our vehicles? :finger:

You can't honestly expect members of a car audio forum to approve or recommend

some ass backwards hillbilly install methods like using tshirts for deadener or lamp cords for power wire.

That Qmat I recommended is $56 for 4 sheets,

if OP cant afford $50 to stop some rattles, what is he gonna do when a battery quits?

At least he will get some tshirts back from his fenders cause there wont be rattles anymore.

If you can show me horseshit adding DEEBEEZ I'll go buy some tomorrow.

50$ worth of butyl mat likely won't even help a plastic panel buzzing against the steel behind it, and a few comments "cheap deadener doesn't stick right" etc. prove that those people didn't even read the original post.

I'm not cosigning stuffing shirts in between the panel and the body, but I'd wager it'll do more good than deadener on a loose plastic panel. Personally I'd either glue the panel, use expanding foam or caulking between the panel and the steel to keep them from slapping... possibly even some CCF depending on what it looks like. Butyl/almunimum "deadener" has it's proper application (to put on sheet metal primarily) but IMO it is not ideal nor cost effective for plastic panels that are flapping against steel, nor is it the end-all be-all of acoustic treatments. People who are serious about SQ use a variety of materials for different purposes in their builds (there's a 30+ page thread over at DIYMA you can dig up and browse at your leisure... and IIRC that only covers door treatments).

Lastly if he has water coming in between the body and the interior panels he has some more problems that butyl wrap won't fix.

In short, this thread shows lack of reading comprehension on the part of some of the posters and outright laziness on the part of OP.

Archived