Second Skin Audio

2 sundown e12 v2 box build

Whats the specs for the box you have now?

Sundown recommends 1.75 cu ft and 28 sq in of port per sub at 32 Hz. That should work well.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I beleive my box I have now is around 4 cubes so I guess that's close to specs but I think it's tuned to aroound 36 Hz. I don't think there is enough port area though my buddy has 2 sa 12s in a box he built it's around 5 cubes with a huge port tuned to around 32 Hz with a rf t 1500 and it's very loud mine is pretty loud but I know it can sound better with a better made box so can I go a little bigger than specs on the box could I take the box I have now and just redo the port and tune it differently?

For port area, yeah just double of 28 so 56 sq in of port. As far as the shape goes, you do whatever you have to do to get the tuning right.

Going from a 36 Hz tune to a 32 Hz tune isn't going to make a huge difference, all else being equal. I kinda doubt you will even be able to hear the difference at all. If you port is significantly undersized though that can make a pretty big difference. Do you know what your port area is on your current box?

ETA: There can be a lot of reasons why your buddy's setup gets louder than yours, and not just differences in box. Different vehicles will sound very different. Also while they may seem to be fairly similar there is a difference in how the E-series sounds vs the SA-series. Trying to make you setup sound as loud as his may not be a reasonable goal.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I know I won't be as loud as him his amp pushes like 1800 watts at 1 ohm I'm only pushing 1000 watts. I think the port area of my port now is maybe like 30 sq in so I'm gunna assume that's part of the reason mines not as loud as it should be I could probably put more power to the subs I'm sure they can take more than 1000 rms

I'm throwing roughly 700 watts at my single E-12 so you should be able to throw well over 1,000 at a pair.

If you port is only 30 sq in now a larger port will mostly likely help your output. With most trunk cars if you aren't going to seal off the trunk you will get the best performance with the sub pointed back and the box close to the back of the trunk, this is just a general rule though, there are plenty of exceptions.

Fun fact, it would be really hard to tell the difference between 1,000 watts and 1,800 watts all else being equal.

Builds:

Archived