gckless Posted October 5, 2014 Report Posted October 5, 2014 Has anyone ever tried it? If so, how is it compared to port back? Looking to do it because of space issues, port back won't work. Port would be passenger side, about 6" from side wall. Four 12's, probably two 8" ports, on 5k. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
gckless Posted October 5, 2014 Author Report Posted October 5, 2014 Not yet, but I'd like to have a plan if I do. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
gckless Posted October 6, 2014 Author Report Posted October 6, 2014 My two options are sub up/port rear firing and sub up/port side firing. I can barely fit rear firing, would have to shave a couple cubic inches off of recommended for each sub (total about 9 cubes net, 10 cubes recommended), ports would be about 6" from the hatch. Side firing allow me to get adequate airspace for each sub and ports would be 6-10" from the side (depending on how I build it). I know sub up/port back is tried and true, but looking for input on side firing and if it would be better here. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
Cj Kumz Posted October 6, 2014 Report Posted October 6, 2014 Having slightly smaller volume than recommended isn't an issue especially if you are over powering your subs.. Back to your question, I think all setups are different so no1 can tell you whether it would sound better than having ports back. Its more of try and error. But I suggest you build the box and side fire the ports, then judge for your self.. What subs are you gonna use? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
toolshed Posted October 7, 2014 Report Posted October 7, 2014 I had 1-15 in a 4th order with port facing back doing ,148 at the dash...
gckless Posted October 8, 2014 Author Report Posted October 8, 2014 Having slightly smaller volume than recommended isn't an issue especially if you are over powering your subs.. Back to your question, I think all setups are different so no1 can tell you whether it would sound better than having ports back. Its more of try and error. But I suggest you build the box and side fire the ports, then judge for your self.. What subs are you gonna use? TRF Blacktops with SHD top assemblies. Yeah, I know that's the best way. Just looking to see if anyone has done it before and compared the two. Might save me from having to build a big ass box. I had 1-15 in a 4th order with port facing back doing ,148 at the dash... I know port back is solid. Looking for info on port side. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.