2003 Ford Explorer, starting small, working my way up!

Build will slow down some after this month. I have several birthdays in November, an almost new car that needs an expensive repair (long, shitty story), plus Christmas and such. So my funds will be limited until after New Years :(. I will be doing some stuff within the next few months though. My install ring for the head unit will be here within the next few days, so that will look good, finally. I have red l.e.d rocker switches coming for my amp remote, parking brake ground and l.e.d's, that will be installed in the panel by the volt meter. Will have one l.e.d bulb hidden in each mid range grille, illuminating each speaker. Also will have four bar lights, one under each front seat, one under each side of the dash, all red l.e.d. I still have over half a roll of deadener left, even after doing all I did on the hatch... so I have enough to do the doors when I install the rear mid ranges and the front doors. Stuff is like $54 a roll, so another roll will finish the vehicle. As long as the weather cooperates, I will be finishing this soon. Also will be getting pretty much all new power wire for everything. Another run of 2/0 from front to back, replacing the CCA wire on the big 3 with SkyHigh/Knu, orange/black 1/0 OFC, and replacing the bank to amp wires with same orange/black, just for appearance. Current wire is already 1/0 Knu OFC. Already have the dist. block in place, so will run the 4ga. Knu, orange OFC directly from that to the component amp, bypassing the bank. Not sure if this is a good idea or bad idea, just figured it would draw less current from the bank, leaving more for the sub amp/amps. I will also be picking up a decent 4ch. component amp shortly, have a few in mind so will start a topic when I am ready to purchase. Getting my Punch Pro bullet tweeters and my Punch Pro 5.25"s from the broken Malibu at the shop, and installing them soon, as well as the crossovers. That will probably be about it for the foreseeable future and I am done typing lol. Will post my progress as I get more done!

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

Looked into my finances, seems I may be able to afford the wood for the box and false floor. I used to hate building boxes but as I have honed my skills and have setup a shop with all the tools, I live for building them! Doing a few for some friends very soon so I will have plenty of warm up time before doing mine :) False floor will be 1" like the box and replace the stock, press board panels that currently cover the jack/lug wrench compartment. This space underneath will allow me to hide all of the 1/0, leaving neat looking wiring :) I am working on a model of the finished product and will post that too.

SkyHigh 1/0 OFC Ground wire. Picture is blue but the listing is for black, lol

61_zps11bbc7f9.jpg

KnuKonceptz Kolossus Kandy, Orange 1/0 OFC.

62_zpsca2c8a0b.jpg

And a last minute contribution to my beautiful baby boy, who is about to be 4 in November! Should be easier than trying to see the head unit from the back seat, lol.

63_zpsb2d980e9.jpg

Performance Teknique ICBM-GTA15, 15" HD, 16:9 widescreen monitor. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Teknique-ICBM-15G-15-TFT-Flip-Down-Monitor-TAN-/121316700617?pt=US_Car_Monitors_w_o_Player&hash=item1c3f09f1c9

This will hook to the video out on the head unit. It's a 2-stage unit so he can watch TV on that screen, while I can listen to the radio up front. Not quite sure how that works yet, but will find out soon! :)

Here's my little man :) Monitor will probably come first, hard to say no to a face like that! He's still afraid of the bass, won't even get near the vehicle... yet will climb to the top of a tree if I let him. Go figure.

64_zps35e98815.jpg

Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

UPDATE: Finally made my mind up on sub amps :) Going with two, Soundquebed Q1-1200D, strapped @2ohms. Will purchase one now for the single 15 @1ohm and once I have the new box built and both 15's, I will grab another, maybe tax time.... 2200RMS @2ohms for $540 and I have yet to read a bad review on them amps, at least from anyone who isn't a moron. It's about $140 over my price range, but will save that by NOT buying a SQB 300RMS 4ch. for $300. Instead, I will either grab an RF R300x4, 300RMS or an MB Quart Onyx4.80, 320RMS, both rated @4ohms. One of these will power the Punch Pro 8's, Punch 5.25"s and the Punch Pro bullets. The Onyx is $80 and the RF is $120, saving me the extra I will spend on sub amps, as I am more worried about the subs being loud than a little SQ sacrifice from the mid bass.

Removing the 5.25"s and bullets from my other vehicle this week, along with the crossovers. Will be installing the 5.25"s in the rear doors immediately after and once I make pods for the bullets, they will go in as well. Also, will be ordering my 4 channel and should have the Punch Pro 8's installed, once I can figure out how to make large enough pods fit on the kicks.

So I went to get the 5.25"s, X-overs and tweets from the Malibu today.... Discovered that the X-overs and tweets either got stolen (morons unlocked my car, AGAIN!), or I already removed them and they're around my shop somewhere. I'm thinking the latter, as I recall pulling everything besides the 5.25"s out after they refused warranty coverage because of (aftermarket equipment). So they are probably around here somewhere, just a large shop, full of a lot of stuff lol.

These 5.25"s are awesome, IMO! I have had these on an old school RF 100x2, taking 100W RMS without a problem. Sound quality is amazing on all of RF's components, even the Primse series I have :) They look pretty cool too!

67_zps9a7e8e2d.jpg

68_zps2c530ff6.jpg

65_zps44d69d59.jpg

66_zps2e07dc5e.jpg

Will be installing these along with the proper ring around the head unit, provided I can find my X-overs and tweets. Can replace the X-overs cheap enough but the tweets are $100 to replace :( I hope I find them...

And yayyyyy!... look what came in the mail :) Now my head unit won't look like total crap in my dash! Going to run my video wire for my monitor and my RCA's for my component amp now, so I don't have to take this thing back out...

69_zpsc7699665.jpg

70_zps3c5416a0.jpg

Nice build log so far!

Just so you know. NVX's 3K amp is on sale for right now... 20% off, making it the same cost as the two SoundQubed amps.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_78508_NVX-XPLD3K.html

Just use the promo code BLUE20

They tested it on the SMD dyno and it got over 2100w @ 2OHM with 14.28v.

Nice build log so far!

Just so you know. NVX's 3K amp is on sale for right now... 20% off, making it the same cost as the two SoundQubed amps.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_78508_NVX-XPLD3K.html

Just use the promo code BLUE20

They tested it on the SMD dyno and it got over 2100w @ 2OHM with 14.28v.

Thanks! I'm a little under funded so it's going slower than I liked, but getting there!

That would be like the PERFECT amp, except TNESPL caps us off at 2.5k rated RMS in the rookie class :/ I should contact them and see if it's the amps rated RMS @1ohm, or the actual rated RMS at the impedance I am at. Thanks for the link though, hopefully they will let me slide!

Just ordered a bunch of goodies! :) Decided to go with the MB Quart Onyx 360.4 for my mid bass and highs, got that ordered. Also, ordered all new Knu Kolossus Kandy Flex orange, oversized OFC 1/0 + wire. Positive wires in the big 3 are CCA and I want to go with all orange/black so replacing the wires in back as well. Ordered a length of 4/0 Knu Kolossus Kandy Flex orange OFC for the MB Quart and also a Knu 2/0 kit for a second run of 2/0 from the front to back. Kit came with an ANL fuse block to put in the second run, a length of 2/0 ground that I can use for the MB Quart and a nice set of RCA's that will also be used on the MB Quart. The RCA's for my sub amp are also Knu's, so all the wiring now matches :) All of the 1/0 ground is already Knu OFC but it's blue.... Want orange and black lol, so will order the SkyHigh black 1/0 OFC pretty soon as well. Would have went with all SkyHigh but for some reason, they don't make orange :( The Knu Kolossus is just as good from what I hear, so not that big of a deal, just like supporting SkyhighAudio, they are good people!

Won't be doing much until everything comes. Kind of a chain reaction, can't install the head unit ring until I get the new RCA's, etc. Everything should be here by Monday though and I will probably do the speaker l.e.d's this weekend! :)

Almost forgot, me and my team decided that the two 4" ports are holding me back.... So will be removing them and installing an 8" port I picked up today. Sub calls for 7.75 min. diameter and like 47" of port area, so the two 4's just weren't cutting it. Will also be doing that this weekend, I hope!

Archived