Can someone explain this to me?

It's been over a year since I've done the big 3 on my truck, but I was never happy with having to leave the stock charging lead hooked up because it looked so damn ugly so yesterday I decided to do something about it. I know that some people on here say you shouldn't do away with the stock wiring, that you should just add to it, but I wanted that lead gone so I cut it off. The initial reason I left it hooked up was because there was another wire in line with it that went to plug on the alt and the alt wouldn't turn on without that wire hooked up. Well after I cut everything off I wanted to make sure that I was right and so I cranked the truck without the plug wire connected, monitored the voltage and it was sitting at about 12.7 and when I touched the wire to the batt terminal then the alt turned on and my voltage was reading 14.2. While the truck was still running I disconnected the lead, and I expected the alt to turn off but instead it started charging at 14.9. My main question is, why did the alt start charging higher? And does that mean that if I wanted to charge higher then I could use a relay to connect and disconnect that wire so it would?

Sorry for the extremely long post guys, just wanted to make sure I had all the info in there that is needed to find out an answer.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter