Second Skin Audio

Dual 12" American Bass XFL Aero-Port Enclosure...Pls Help

BRodgers

I've got 2 American Bass XFL 12's that I built a box for and it sounds pretty good. The current box is 4 cubes @ 34hz and it's a slot port. I want to try my hand at an Aero Port Enclosure but I haven't done one before.

Dimensions will be 38" Wide x 14" Tall x 24" Deep and I think I'll be using TWO 6" PVC Pipes and flare the end using the hair dryer and bowl trick. I want it to be loud but most people who own them say to stay between 33-35hz. I just want to get the best overall sound from them so I'm not sure what freq to tune to.

Looking for some guidance before I start cutting and wasting $$

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T

2 American Bass XFL 12's

American Bass VFL 150.1

Exide Group 31 AGM

Big 3 1/0 Bullz Audio

I'd use one 8" flared aero vs the two 6". More efficient.

and I'd tune to 33hz with them.

had my XFL tuned to 32hz and it was lovely in a 2.5 cubes with around 14" port per cube

So, If I use the dimensions 38W x 14T x 20D that will give me 4.5^ft After Displacement. If I use an 8" Aero Port, how long will it need to be?

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T

2 American Bass XFL 12's

American Bass VFL 150.1

Exide Group 31 AGM

Big 3 1/0 Bullz Audio

The round port would need to turn, besides without proper flares like PSP ones you won't get the full advantage round ports can offer, maybe your slot port box just had low port area.

The slot port enclosure I built does sounds pretty good. I'm not hearing any port noise, I feel I did a pretty good job on it. I'm just wondering if I can increase efficiency and gain some db's by switching to aeroports instead of using the slot port box I made? I need a box that's 4-4.5^ft @ 33hz. I could use an 8" PVC pipe and heat mold flare the ends using the hair dryer/ceramic bowl trick.

Do you think I'm just waisting my time Joe? Should I just leave it alone and be happy?? :wacky:

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T

2 American Bass XFL 12's

American Bass VFL 150.1

Exide Group 31 AGM

Big 3 1/0 Bullz Audio

I don't know any details on the other box (layout, port area pics etc.), a 2.25 net /sub would increase your efficiency alone so maybe that slot port box you did could be made more efficient or you could try the round ported one, you could also try firing forward sealing off, clearly there's some space for improvement if you feel like doing some extra work.

I don't know any details on the other box (layout, port area pics etc.), a 2.25 net /sub would increase your efficiency alone so maybe that slot port box you did could be made more efficient or you could try the round ported one, you could also try firing forward sealing off, clearly there's some space for improvement if you feel like doing some extra work.

Thanks Joe...

Here's the current box...

433hz_zps7af9ab15.jpg

It is forward facing and sealed off from the trunk.

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T

2 American Bass XFL 12's

American Bass VFL 150.1

Exide Group 31 AGM

Big 3 1/0 Bullz Audio

Make sure that your seal off is not leaking, your box looks ok but can be done more efficient no doubt and don't know how's your bracing inside (maybe pics of the whole setup?). Have you metered? RTA? any numbers?

a hair dryer isn't gonna get pvc hot enough to mold.

and good luck trying to find 8inch... or 6inch pvc pipe.

plus the time and energy.trying to find 6 or 8inch then mounting it properly then trying to flare... just spend the couple extra bucks on a psycho port.

or you can get a $6 sonotube and flare that. i can give you some tips and tricks cuz that's what i did

IMG_20140722_203447_146_zps6bcb2fc1.jpg

yes thats a $6 8inch sonotube from home Depot.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff