MINI Cooper Battery and electrical.

I would get a bigger alt. don't really have lots of room for batts in that car.

unless you went with caps.....

I would go with caps...

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

Okay, So the XS D4800 was barely too big :( , so i ordered the D4700. I've also got the 0 gauge on the way for the big three and power the amp. I should be doing that this weekend. There are a few guys with MINIs i've talked to that have fairly large systems and haven't changed their Alts. So, I'm going to attempt to run it without changing the alt and see how it goes. 90% of the time i will have it turned down, So I'll just keep an eye on voltages when i do turn it up. I built the box and was able to listen to it in my car off a friends amp. It was only on about 150 watts and it was already drowning out my highs and mids, lol. I'm very excited to get my amp up and running and see what it can really do.

Life's a trip. . . Don't fall.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update yall. I did the big 3 and installed the D4700. Factory Alt is 105 amp. With the big three charging voltage gained half a volt from 13.8 to 14.3 volts. Now serious question guys Should i be concerned with this?

I'm seeing some voltage drop most of the time only into the 13's and only to 13.6 while driving. I have seen it drop to 12.6 while sitting still, so i've just been avoiding playing it hard while sitting.

12.6 is below you battery resting voltage. So basically you're not getting enough from your alt and you're powering your system off your battery at that point. If it beats and sits around 12.6 I wouldn't worry too too much. Though, if you go lower than that, you might want to consider that 210 amp alt or another more powerful alt if available...

I've had alts that died @ 7000 rpm, but they were not the best quality, so I can't speak of the better brands like singer, mechman, dc power, etc...

So far my dc hasn't skipped a beat. But that's in an F150 at low revs (V8 FTW).

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

well my battery rests at 12.7, but i need to give it a good full charge. And for most music it doesnt even drop below 14 but if i play something with heavy bass for more than about 30 seconds it starts dipping, if i'm driving it stays in the 13s. They only time i have seen 12s was when i was sitting demoing it full out and it was able to demo it for several minutes. Would a second battery solve this or would it simply cause the voltage to drop to the battery resting voltage and be able to hold there longer? The alternator is very difficult to access and as you said 7K Rpm is hard on them.

• 1 year later...

Hey man,

I created an account mostly just to say thank you for this post.

I'm planning to put an x-12 in my Mini with a Rockford Fosgate 1500bd-cp and I'm going to upgrade to a 140A alt.

Seeing the pictures helps and I'm quite confident to go ahead and get it all done now.

I'm not even going to bother trying to get any custom alt stuff cos I'm in the UK and everyone knows you have to be in the US for choice :D

Have you still got this setup now?

-Purpz

Archived