Sonic Electronix

Hello, i am looking to build a ported box for my subs(in topic) for a 2002 dodge durango. But do not know where to start at all. I have a general idea on building the box but not sure how to build the ports. Just to make it look good i would like to put 4 PVC tubes as ports. Not sure what to do. i was going to get 1 1/2" wood to build the box with adhesive for sealing the cracks. PS: i don't know terms too well so if you answer this post please type as if im new to all this. Thanks!!!

Hello, i am looking to build a ported box for my subs(in topic) for a 2002 dodge durango. But do not know where to start at all. I have a general idea on building the box but not sure how to build the ports. Just to make it look good i would like to put 4 PVC tubes as ports. Not sure what to do. i was going to get 1 1/2" wood to build the box with adhesive for sealing the cracks. PS: i don't know terms too well so if you answer this post please type as if im new to all this. Thanks!!!

Titebond wood glue is normally the preferred glue.

For the P312/15 they are not that heavy or "heavy duty" so most of the box should be 3/4" with a double baffle (2 face pieces stacked on top of each other. Also, it is recommended for making some sort of bracing for inside the box to prevent it from flexing.

Do you have measurements?

For the P312/15 they are not that heavy or "heavy duty" so most of the box should be 3/4" with a double baffle (2 face pieces stacked on top of each other. Also, it is recommended for making some sort of bracing for inside the box to prevent it from flexing.

I am sorry i do not have any measurements yet. I am also not currently by my dodge yet either. So what your saying is stack 3/4" on 3/4"?

I a not sure what to do for bracing because i want my setup to be where the subs are facing up. I would put a simple wood rod between but i am not sure if i would have to room to do so.

I also need to talk ports. I want this box to be as loud as possible.

I am sorry i do not have any measurements yet. I am also not currently by my dodge yet either. So what your saying is stack 3/4" on 3/4"?

I a not sure what to do for bracing because i want my setup to be where the subs are facing up. I would put a simple wood rod between but i am not sure if i would have to room to do so.

Place subs face up is fine. Most box designs you get will have the port in the middle between the two so you will have to brace around that. And yes, put 3/4 on 3/4.

If you truely want to get loud, you would need a way to measure your SPL. Maybe a termlab or spllab.

If you want to go according to the ear-o-meter start with a port tuned to like 30hz. Play music or do a frequency sweep. Be sure to log which frequency it seems to be loudest. Now go back and cut off some port to raise the tuning. Then do music or a frequency sweep. Rinse and repeat. Once you find which you think is the loudest, remake the port to those sizes.

Its ghetto but meh.

Place subs face up is fine. Most box designs you get will have the port in the middle between the two so you will have to brace around that. And yes, put 3/4 on 3/4.

If you truely want to get loud, you would need a way to measure your SPL. Maybe a termlab or spllab.

If you want to go according to the ear-o-meter start with a port tuned to like 30hz. Play music or do a frequency sweep. Be sure to log which frequency it seems to be loudest. Now go back and cut off some port to raise the tuning. Then do music or a frequency sweep. Rinse and repeat. Once you find which you think is the loudest, remake the port to those sizes.

Its ghetto but meh.

So what should my port look like and how should i design it? Also how would i know if it is 30hz or not? Sorry if i am annoying i am new to all this but i want to get big with car audio.

Its ghetto but meh.

So what should my port look like and how should i design it? Also how would i know if it is 30hz or not? Sorry if i am annoying i am new to all this but i want to get big with car audio.

Its no problem man. Im not a pro or anything! Everyone is still learning.

Download the Torres box tuning calculator.

The total subwoofer displacement will be: 0.296

According to the rockford site, they wang 2.66 cubic feet each.

Its ghetto but meh.

ok i will do that. Now one more question. If i wanted to hook up another battery and amp for 2 more 12"s i would be bettery>battery>y splitter(1 (0guage wire)- 2(4guage wires))>amp/amp>to each sub right?

Its ghetto but meh.

ok i will do that. Now one more question. If i wanted to hook up another battery and amp for 2 more 12"s i would be bettery>battery>y splitter(1 (0guage wire)- 2(4guage wires))>amp/amp>to each sub right?

Well, now you are leaving where I am familiar with car audio. I can try to answer but wait for more people with more knowledge!

Also, here is an example I made in Torres to show you the basics.

Capture_zps952179b8.png

Obviously this box is hella to big and I am pretty sure you would need bigger aero ports. But basically you input your Height, Width and depth and then it calculates the air volume you have in the box. Then you add subwoofer displacement. Then bracing displacement. Then you add your ports to find the tuning you like.

For adding a second battery, you have to make sure the batteries are the same type. Like liquid/solid/whatever. If not, you need a battery isolator. This is implying you already have the big 3 done. You would have one run of 1/0 gauge to your main batt. Then you would have the ground wire from that battery going to the positive on your new battery. And the negative/ground from the new body to the vehicle chasis for the ground. That way you get 12v not 24v.

pic-7933002625976946742.gif

Archived